[nabs-l] clothes shopping and organizing

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 20:54:27 UTC 2012

Hi Ashley,
As a recent student who has just entered the workforce, this is something I have been working on lately.  I have tried several things and will share them here in case they can spark an idea.

Shopping:
I prefer to go shopping with someone I trust has a decent fashion sense and will tell me if something doesn't look right etc.  I love to go with my sister because she is about my age and I know she has a grasp on what looks good.  She also really enjoys it so its a good opportunity to have brother/sister time.  For many people, shopping is a social event, so don't be afraid to take someone with you if you can.

Organization in the closet:
Maybe it is different with women's clothes, but I can't tell most of my dress shirts apart by touch.  The same is true for my nicer pants, especially because if I find a cut that fits me really well, I generally buy a few pants or shirts in different colors.
The most complicated strategy I have used to keep my closet organized was to use puff paint to put a braille number on the tag of each item in my closet.  I then created a spreadsheet with descriptions of each item and possible matches.  This got really crazy when you start to add vests, jackets, ties, etc.  It took a lot of prep work in the beginning and help from others, but I had tons of information about what I was wearing and felt more confident getting creative with what I wanted to wear.
The strategy I am using now is the "Keep it simple" strategy.  I have navy and khaki pants that I wear to work.  I have several shirts in various colors that will match either the navy or the khaki pants.  I use a color identifier app on my phone to double check sometimes, but in general, I know I can't mess up too bad.  There are one or two items that will not go with the navy, but I know what those feel like or make sure to use the color identifier if I am not sure.

Using both strategies I was confident that I looked professional.  It just depends on how much info you want and how much time/assistance you have to get things set up in the first place.

Hopefully some of this was helpful.

-Greg