[nabs-l] Public humiliation because of blindness.

Jedi Moerke loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sun Oct 21 19:57:23 UTC 2012

The balance really isn't that difficult. We all know what could be classified as appropriate treatment and in appropriate treatment. Each of us have different boundaries. The way you figure out when it's right for you to fight or when it's right for you to roll with the punches is a very personal thing. I have a native American friend of mine that uses his own decision-making process based on one developed by the Institute of cultural affairs. It goes something like this:

The What: This is the objective aspect of what happened. So, to the best of your ability, think about the incident as though you were an outsider. This is the time to think about both sides. In other words, what might have the other person been thinking? What were you thinking? What was said? What was done? That sort of thing.

The Gut: This is the reflective aspect of what happened.  How did you feel about the incident? One way you can figure out your motions is by checking out your physical responses to the experience. Does your stomach feel differently? does your chest feel differently? what about your  breathing?Are your muscles relaxed or tense?  What emotion words come to mind? The emotional or reflective aspect of what's happening can give you a clue as to why this particular event is important.

So What: This part of the process is where you determine how important this is. The other part of this is to figure out why it's important. So think of this section as the significance section. Maybe a particular event is important because it represents the pattern either for you personally or for blind people generally. As you think about the significance of an event, you may notice that more emotions crop up for you. Take note and add this to your reflective section. You may also gain some objective insights here. Let's use our carnival example. This one incident may, in someway, represent the acts of discrimination of blind people face generally. So for a given individual, this incident might represent something very very important. For someone else, this incident may represent a lack of education. Again, this brings about a sense of importance. And for some of us, it may represent nothing at all. It may simply represent someone's being stupid. And that case, there may not Be much importance at all. So, like I said before, it's quite personal. The level of importance, the feelings you feel, and the objective  incident itself Will help you figure out what to do next.

Now What: Now comes the decision. What are you going to do next? If you think this matter represents and incidents requiring education, your next step simply might be to educate. If you feel that more action is required, you may consider escalating the conflict to a supervisor or even to legal action. If you think the guy is just being stupid, your decision maybe just a laugh it off. Again, this is a purely personal matter.

This decisional process takes time to develop. The more you practice it, the easier it gets. You will come to a point when you can go through each step in a matter of seconds. For the first little while, you may find That you have to reexperience a moment ex post facto. Most of the time, you may not be able to remedy the situation at this time. On the other hand, you can use this as a teaching moment for yourself. You'll start to notice patterns and yourself, and that's partially what makes this process go a lot quicker as you get better.

There will be times when it truly is not feasible to either go through the process or to take the decision to its final outcome. The important thing is to go through the process anyway and your mind afterward. This will help you clear up any emotional tension left behind from the experience. It will also help you move on. You will likely gain some insights about yourself. For example, this process helped  me realize that I don't like to be touched by strangers. This was the real reason why I do not like to be pushed and prodded by people and their attempts to guide me. I also figured out that I feel a loss of control when people push and pull me. This process finally helped me to realize that these emotions are perfectly natural. Many sided people would feel the same way if in the same circumstance. Since figuring that out, I have been able to communicate these feelings to sighted  people in such a way that they understand. The end result has been a sort of dialogue as education. The added bonus is that my issue was suddenly taken out of the blindness context. I really feel like taking things out of the blindness context sometimes helps me to advocate for myself better. Especially since some of these issues are so charged  in our community.

I don't know if any of this resonates with any of you, but if it does, I would be willing to put a conference call together regarding this process. I can probably get my native American friend to come and lead the discussion. This process is part of an over all communication system called the elements of honor. I personally found the elements of honor to be an incredibly powerful resource in my life. I had  a lot of issues with the sighted  population when I joined his workshops. After learning the system and putting it to good use, I noticed that my problems with the sighted  community seem to diminish greatly.

I would like to add one more final thought before I go. I think we sometimes carry an invisible audience with us into situations like these. I have felt in the past that it was my responsibility to represent the entire blind community in every interaction I ever had. So in effect, it felt like having each of you in my back pocket wherever I went. As you might've guessed, we all have different opinions on how these things ought  to be handled. And so I sort of felt like I had several critics telling me do this, do that, don't do this,  don't do that. I really feel like the added stress of the invisible audience actually made my reactions to situations much more severe than they could have been otherwise. So remember, at the end of the day, we all have to deal with these issues in a very personal way. At the end of the day, we essentially represent ourselves and our own preferences. The preferences of others serve to educate our own minds as to the variety of options available to us, but they should never dictate what we do in  a particular situation, especially if the advice is not in keeping with our own personal Process.

I hope that helps.

Respectfully
Jedi

Sent from my iPhone