[nabs-l] Powerpoint presentation

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 21:30:35 UTC 2012

For most computers, once you get someone to start the slide show, you
can simply press the space key to move to the next slide. You can do a
little test just to make sure that works, but if it does, then you
should be able to stand up next to the computer and advance the slides
yourself by pressing the space key. I just did that last week when I
gave a presentation at a conference where everyone was presenting from
one computer.
If you use Braille I highly recommend using either Braille note cards
or writing out detailed notes and having them embossed on your
embosser or by someone in your disability services office if you have
one. Listening to JAWS through headphones might work, but in my
experience it slows things down. Also I find that having detailed
notes of what I am going to say (not just what's written on the
slides, but what I actually want to say) is very helpful. I have a
pretty good memory, but when I have to get up in front of people and
especially professors, I sometimes have a hard time keeping my ideas
organized without the Brailled notes. I know many sighted people write
out talks that they give too.
As for learning how to create PowerPoint presentations, the tutorials
may help, but one of the quickest ways to learn is just to open up a
presentation and then use Insert F1 to listen to the JAWS
context-sensitive help. It will tell you where you are, what type of
slide it is, and how to navigate around the slide or edit slide
content. This is how I learned, by opening up a presentation someone
sent me and using Insert F1 to get feedback about how the presentation
was laid out and how to navigate. You can email me offlist if you have
more specific questions.
Best,
Arielle