[nabs-l] Powerpoint presentation

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 21 22:33:02 UTC 2012

Gloria,

This question comes up a lot. I have played with powerpoint plus got
training on it.
One very helpful resource is the Hadley school for the blind webinars. If
interested go to www.hadley.edu.
Then click on seminars, then past seminars. Under the technology heading you
will see two presentations for powerpoint.
Click on part one, then listen to part 2 for more instructions on presenting
and fancy effects.

Do you have to add in transitions and animations to your slides? If not, its
quite easy.
To create the powerpoint, assumeing you have office 2010, do this.
When it opens, you have a title  slide. Press tab to go between the areas
you type called place holders.
Type the title. Press escape to go to object level then tab to the next
place holder. I think you press enter to go to the edit level. Listen for
jaws or your screen reader to say edit. When it says that, type your
subtitle.

I think the ribbon bar is a pain. It takes a while to move to various tabs,
unlike the menu system we used to have. Anyway, if you do not need
transitions or animations, no ribbon bar needed. Use standard office
keyboard commands to move around your text; for instance, control c for
copy, control v for paste, and of course control s for save.

Insert a slide with command control M. By default you will have a title
place holder and a body place holder. I recommend no more than five bullet
points per slide. Also, do not clutter it with text. Its meant as an
outline; use simple key phrases. You will add to what each bullet point says
in your talk.

Press control S to save. If you desire to change font, press control D for
font dialogue box and press tab to go through it all.

For presenting, I second what others said. Make braille notes for yourself
and label by slide; meaning write slide 1 and then outline what you'll say,
not just what is on the slide show; then write slide 2 and write notes.

Have someone turn your slides as you go through. Some blind people use a
laptop and jaws to hear their slides, but that seems like a lot of trouble.
If you use the pc in the classroom, just have them turn the slides and you
will be fine. Yes, many times pressing space in slide show mode works, but
if you have animations, it won't always work like that.

Good luck.
Ashley