[nabs-l] food courts and counter restaurants

Herrin, Amber herrinar at muohio.edu
Sun Sep 2 20:22:15 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Though I am a bit late to this topic, I would add one technique
regarding the drink dispenser.

Rather than fervently praying someone walks passed the fountain as I
reach it, or standing around feeling dumb waiting on someone, I tend
to ask the assistant at the counter a couple of very vital questions:

1-Where is the fountain located from our current position?

About this question: I try to make sure to relate to them in the best
way I can. 'is it in front of you?' ' 'is it to your left?' 'is it to
your right?'

This allows them to feel comfortable giving directions from the way
they're facing rather than struggling to describe everything
backwards. With their response, I am able to flip it around and obtain
the location of the fountain.  So if they say that the fountain is to
their right, then I know that since I am facing them and the counter
that they are standing behind, that it is to my left. if it is in
front of them, it is directly behind me. Etc etc.

2-What drinks are on the fountain?

This allows me to choose the drink I would like without naming a
million pops before guessing one that they actually have.  Once they
are done listing, I pick one and then I ask the final question.

3-can you describe to me, using the ice dispenser as a starting point,
which dispenser dispenses (insert your drink here.)?

The reason I say ice is because this dispenser typically looks
different, even if the buttons or handles pressed are identical to pop
dispensers.  The ice dispenser has to allow ice to fall through, which
has shape and substance.  This means that the opening has to be much
larger than that of the drink dispensers, which only dispense liquid.
So if I can use my hand, or, if you are nervous touching random
things, a napkin placed over your hand, to locate the ice dispenser on
the machine, I can then count left or right however many mentioned by
the clerk.

The only other thing about this that you might take note of and ask
about is the location of lids and straws.  Often you manage to obtain
your drink alone only to discover that you still need someone to help
you, because you cannot find the lids and straws.  Ask this question
before leaving the counter if it is a problem you face.  I personally
just check on each end of the machine, because typically, that is
where they are located.

One more thing regarding ice.  Sometimes the clerk might have a
dilemma when describing to you about where your pop is because a
machine is so big that it has two or more ice dispensers. Ease their
fears by explaining that you are capable of starting at one end of the
machine and working your way to wherever you need to in order to get
your drink.

Some people are more independent than others about this and it is not
for me to judge one way or another.  I offer my personal preferences
because it is my belief that whenever possible, and wherever possible,
I should do as much for myself as I can.  Not because others are
unwilling to help me but because it is what is expected of the rest of
society, and if I would like to be treated just like everyone else,
then I should take responsibility for myself and act just like
everyone else.

Just my two-sense.

HTH,

Amber