[nabs-l] social norms: how we can fit in with sighted societyat social gatherings

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 04:26:52 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I think it is absolutely critical to point out that "sighted society"
is not a uniform group of people who all share identical norms,
attitudes and actions. If it were, there would be no wars, no
religious or political differences, no unique languages, cultures,
customs, etc. Rather, "society" as a whole is divided into many
subgroups that all carry different norms. A few norms, like not
killing other people, are near-universal, but most customs relating to
dress, mannerisms, speech, nonverbal communication, etc. differ
between cultures and sometimes between subgroups within a culture
(i.e. people dress differently in San Francisco  than they do in
Washington, D.C. and college students dress differently from lawyers
etc.) It is impossible to teach blind people a universal set of
nonverbal behaviors to adopt even if we wanted to. And, I believe that
blind people should have just as much right as sighted people to make
informed choices about what kinds of norms to follow or not follow,
just as women can choose whether to be stay-at-home mothers or to work
even if being a working woman is not yet "the norm". Of course, there
are consequences for failing to "blend in"  and look like everybody
else, but sometimes there are things to be gained by doing this, or
"blending in" is simply too difficult. As responsible adults we need
to weigh the costs and benefits of following the norms for specific
situations. For example, if I am interviewing for a job, it is
probably to my advantage to purchase and wear a suit. However, if I am
doing something less high-stakes, and money is tight, I can probably
get away with just wearing some nice slacks or a dress, even if most
of the other people there are wearing suits.
I do think it is useful to give blind students information about how
they can learn about the norms present in their particular culture,
i.e. how to learn about the dress code for a new job, where to read
about current fashions, etc. It is also good to provide a forum for
students to ask questions if they wish to learn more about how to
blend in in specific situations. However, I do not think that
preaching to blind students about the importance of blending in does
much good. The consequences of not blending in are self-evident, and
again, blind students are responsible young adults who need to come to
these decisions for ourselves.
Finally, I need to once again speak up on behalf of those blind folks
who are labeled "weird" or "socially unskilled" by blind and sighted
alike. As a community of blind people with common experiences, we need
to stop passing judgment or trying to give these folks social
makeovers, and instead acknowledge that all of us are human beings
with different levels of skill and ability in different areas. I
always find myself advocating for this often-misunderstood subset of
the blind community because in some ways I am part of that group. I
spent much of my childhood being labeled as socially inadequate,
struggled with a few different "blindisms" and today still deal with
lifelong gait and posture issues, and challenges with attempting eye
contact. Because of these things some may say I look more "blind" than
the average successful blind person, yet I am a successful graduate
student, financially self-sufficient and in a committed relationship.
In my own case I am very very aware of the importance of blending in
and of how "different" I look at times, because this was emphasized to
me over and over again as a child. My issues are complicated and I
have still not determined if the problems I have with posture and
balance are due to an over-protective home environment when I was
learning to walk, an as-yet-undiagnosed balance/coordination
impairment, or both. My problem with eye contact is related to the
fact my vision is such that I feel like I am looking at someone's face
when I am actually looking slightly down (and if I actually look up
toward their face I see nothing). I can correct for this but it takes
a ton of effort and focus for me to do so, so most of the time I end
up looking down at someone instead of up at them even though I have
been told hundreds of times how important it is  to attempt eye
contact. Some others in our community have additional disabilities or
mental conditions that make "blending in" by our definition
practically impossible, yet these folks still have a lot to offer in
their own way. My point is that so-called social skill deficits like
these are often due to a lot more than just not knowing any better or
being mentally deficient. It is important to recognize that all
members of our community have strengths and abilities of their own,
even if they seem weak or deficient or even "weird" to us, and we
should do what we can to empower these people instead of using them as
examples of what's wrong with our community as a whole. I hope that
made some sense.
Best,
Arielle