[nabs-l] Question about canvassing.

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 04:34:38 UTC 2012

Hi Cindy,
I had the same issue although I was inside standing by a table. My goal was
to catch and engage students and other passers-by to stop at our table and
donate to the cause and/or buy a sweet product; it was a bake sale. I found
that I played a marginal role because I could not get their attention. I
have some vision and can even make eye contact, but that is when the person
is standing or sitting still. If they are rushing by me not looking to talk
to me, I also find it hard to get their attention. Same issue when asking
for help; by the time I ask a question, they have walked far enough away
that they are not listening.

The main advice I have is to perhaps hold up a sign about your
cause. I also think this is where good nonverbal communication comes in. If
someone showed you a motion for "come here" or something like that, maybe
that would get their attention. Also, probably what you are wearing will
help. Often, clothing does the talking. People just do not want to stop for
random things. But if your clothes indicate your purpose, maybe they will
have a look. So, will you be wearing a t shirt or hat or something to
indicate you are a volunteer with this cause? If you have some wearable
advertisement, this might help attract attention.

Good luck.
Ashley