[nabs-l] Speeding Up Reading?

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 22:26:26 UTC 2012

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has any articles, books or advice for speeding up my
Braille reading? I'm at the point to where no matter how much I seem to
read, my reading is not getting any faster...
At the moment I'm reading with my left index finger and my right finger
takes over when lines don't have any really complicated words... I'm getting
down the two hand split, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can
be working on?
I've read that sighted people tend to see words in pictures and they don't
actually read the whole word. In fact they look at a paragraph and get the
picture in their head and hardly notice any particular words at all.
I'm wondering if there is some way to do this with Braille?
The TVIs that I've talked to have not worked with their students to go past
letter by letter reading. I'm really looking for a Braille reading technique
book if anything exists on that...
Reading Braille doesn't feel like understanding speech at faster speeds
which is something I have been able to do with no guidance :) so I'm kind of
at a loss.
Thank you,

Brandon Keith Biggs