[nabs-l] social norms: how we can fit in with sightedsocietyatsocial gatherings

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Sep 19 21:55:30 UTC 2012

While it has been a while since I have been in that environment, when I have been in positions of having observers tell me what I
was doing right or wrong it was not that helpful in the end.  There is a tendency for anyone observing to judge and provide input
according to their specific standards while the standards among sighted people varies greatly.  The answer is somewhere between
trying to conform to a hard and fast standard and ignoring them.  It is good to be aware of things that might put people off and
be aware of things one might do thinking they are not observed when they are.  However, each of us is an individual and part of
what we might do right or wrong is what makes us an individual.  I believe the most important thing we can do is to be observant
ourselves as to what goes on around us and how we are received.  We need to realize that we have things to learn about social
interactions, but also that not all difficulties arise because we have done something wrong.  Some are simply not going to be
comfortable with us as blind people because of their experiences.  I don't think counting on a TVI is the answer.  We are best off
consulting a friend whose values we understand and who we can trust.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson