[nabs-l] Speeding Up Reading?

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 00:52:59 UTC 2012

Here are some things that I tell campers as I direct a week of camp for improving Braille Reading Speeds.
1. Do not move your lips as you read. Fast readers do not read aloud.
2. Use all six fingers on the Braille. More fingers means faster speeds. The index fingers give details but the tall fingers and
ring fingers give the shape of the words. Print readers do not read every letter. I do not read every letter in Braille and neither
does my husband. We read close to 300 words per minute.
3. Keep palms up off the Braille. Some people benefit when I say piano hands. Others thing that there is a soft ball under their
palm. You do not want to flatten that palm onto the Braille.
4. The left hand is more sensitive than the right. Keep both hands together until the last word or two. Then, let them separate. The
left hand tracks back on the line you just read and then drops down, while the right gets that last word or two. Then, they are
braught together again to read most of the subsequent line. Practice makes perfect. Even if these things do not help at first, keep
practicing them, and your speed will increase. I hope this helps.

Terri Wilcox