[nabs-l] Eye Phone

Cynthia Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 02:59:38 UTC 2012

Gloria:

I don't know about the specific keyboard  you are talking about, but I
had an experience with keyboards. I am on my 3rd and finally
satisfied. My first waqs the cheapest blue tooth I could find on
Amazon, and it was flat with no bumps on the F and the J. I hated it.
So, I thought I would get a keyboard case. This particular case did
not surround the top and bottom edges of my phone. Whenever I dropped
my phone, since the keyboard section was lighter and on the back, it
caused the weighted side of my phone to always be the front screen. I
dropped my phone once and the top edge of the glass on the front of my
phone cracked. If you are really careful with your things, and if this
keyboard case surrounds all sides of your phone, then you're probably
good to go. But I wanted to share my experience. I now use the mini
blue tooth keyboard the the A T Guys sell, and although it is not
physically connected to my phone, it is incredible and I love it.

The apps previously mentioned are great. There is a variety of apps
that you can get, some of them blindness related, some of them not.
There is an app called Viz Wiz, and you can take a picture of items
that might have writing on them, and you can send this picture to
someone who can tell you what something says or looks like. It is
finicky since you have to take pictures, but it can be helpful. You
can also download Around Me, an app that will give you information
about surrounding locations. I love the Sendero Look Around gps. My
favorite feature is that it tells you the nearest cross street. It is
great when you're traveling in unfamiliar areas or if you get turned
around. I also love the Navigon GPS which is also great if you are
getting a ride somewhere and if you want to make sure your driver is
efficient. It does pedestrian directions as well. But you can find
apps for everything. I have random fact apps, an iFarkle game app that
is accessible, DropBox, apps for your bank and credit cards and
PayPal,  Facebook, Twitter, you name it. So just search for things you
enjoy. I have a couple of apps that list nearby happy hours. One is
made by goTime and is called Happy Hours. Make sure your city is
supported before downloading location specific apps like the Happy
Hour ones. I also have shopping apps like for Amazon and the Apple
Store. There are also a Blind Bargains and Craigslist apps if you like
to look for deals. The sky is the limit.

Getting used to the iPhone is a learning curve, and I found the iPhone
book published by the National  Braille Press to be very descriptive
and helpful. Even if you have to get a version for an older iPhone if
the iPhone 5 book hasn't come out, most of the information will still
be accurate.

Cindy