[nabs-l] Eye Phone

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 15:11:46 UTC 2012

A few other apps that I like, in addition to the ones mentioned:
*My AT&T: Check your usage and make payments from your phone in seconds
*Flashlight: Just what it sounds like. It uses your battery fast,
though, since the flashlight is essentially constant use of the flash
feature of your phone
*Talking Scientific Calculator: I use this for school, very handy in
math and science classes
Dictionary.com: A dictionary at your fingertips. It doesn't use WiFi
or your data plan unless you need to find words similar to what you
type, such as if you mispell the word
*Blackboard Mobile Learn: Another great school app that I use almost
daily. It gives you full access to Blackboard
Pages: Apple's word processor. Type your notes in class using your
phone and bluetooth keyboard, then e-mail them to yourself. Great tool
if you don't have a laptop or don't feel like dragging the heavy thing
around
Moxy: A word-making game that is fully accessible
ZaniTouch: Like BopIt except with iPhone gestures. My high score is 75 gestures.
Papa Sangre: A more challenging game where you have to collect musical
notes while avoiding enemies
*White House: News straight from the President's office, great for
keeping up with federal programs and what the president and his wife
are up to
*AccessWorld: The AFB's monthly magazine, which often has reviews on
products and books that are very useful
*NFB Newsline: Amazing app that brings Newsline to your phone without
having to call the number. All the same features are there, so it's
easy to learn
*iBlink Radio: This is the app to go to for your local reading radio
service, as well as other radio statioons such as a 24/7 Olde Time
Radio Shows station
*Food on the Table: Find recipes by category, then add them to a
grocery list that you can add non-ingredient items to as well and use
to go shopping. This is great for organizing meals and trying new
recipes
*Savings STar: Have a card for your local grocery store? Put the card
info into this app, select coupons from a list, and when you go
shopping, the savings go into an account that you can have mailed to
you after $5 is racked up. No more cutting coupons or dealing with
paper coupons of any kind!
*WalkScore: Looking to move? Check out the walk score for the new
neighbourhood to find out if it's suitable for someone who doesn't
have a car. The walk score is based on how close it is to stores, bus
stops, and the like, as well as how heavy traffic is and if it has
sidewalks.
Oh Moby: Take a picture of something, and it searches for something
similar on the internet and tells you what you took a picture of. This
really works!
*Prizmo: This is like SayText, but some people like it better. I'm
still playing with it, so I'm not sure of it yet, but there are lots
of tutorials online on how to use Prizmo.

Sorry that was such a long list, but that goes thru all the apps I
have that I would recommend to a blind person, not including the ones
mentioned above, which I also endorse.

A tip:When you get your iPhone, sit down with a tech at the Apple
store near you and have them show you how to use VoiceOver, how to set
up your e-mail, and how to set up your bluetooth keyboard. If you
bring the keyboard to them, they'll set it up for you; they did it for
me! Then just play around with the phone and practice. In no time,
you'll be an expert at it.

~Jewel