[nabs-l] Eye Phone

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 17:31:21 UTC 2012

Hi, all,
  I'll add a few of my favorite apps that haven't been mentioned yet.
People have mostly covered the ones I like, but there are a couple
worth mentioning that, at least periphorally if nothing else, can be
used educationally.
  The first is audible.  If you have an audibe.com membership, this
lets you listen to any book from the audible store...you can buy them
from itunes and listen in the music app, but it's quite a bit more
expensive that way.  I've done this for some school books before, as
your audible membership gives ou at least one "credit" to download a
book each month.
  There's also another audio recorder called voxie I like.  You can
choose the quality of your recording (higher equal more memory),
wirelessly transfer recordings to your computer, put your recordings
in different categorized folders for organization and name them
anything you want.  (the last should be obvious, but if you're coming
from a victor stream and it's automatic note numbering, you'll
probably like it.)
  Also look up all the apps made by choice of games and hosted games.
If that class lecture is just too boring and you want something
exciting to occupy yourself with, these text-based games, similar to
the choose-your-own adventure games from before our time might just do
the trick.  Also in the games arena check out king of dragon pass and
I samurai.  Great time wasters, especially if you're trying to
distract yourself from doing something productive.
  Let's see...back to productivity-enhancing apps.  Check out
"numbers" made by apple.  It's a spreadsheet app they made for IOS
which seems to be accessible but confusing.  I've not tried it with a
bluetooth keyboard, that might make it more bearable.
  You also have looktell recognizer.  That's supposd to be an answer
to things like the pen friend and braille labelers...take a picture of
an object, record a label, then any time you show your phone camera
that object, provided you're in the recognizer app, it should play
back the label you recorded.  I've not gotten around to testing it yet
but I've heard it's pretty cool.  The biggest complaint about it seems
to be the fact that you might need a sighted person to help you
identify the object originally (color/print label/whatever) but that
seems to be a minor issue to me.
  Anyways enjoy your new toy!
  Best,
Kirt