[nabs-l] canes and water park rides

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 04:43:37 UTC 2013

Sarah,
  I know I'm going to spark an age-old debate, and possibly get
reprimanded for being off-topic, but I don't really care right now.  I
don't mean this condescendingly or judgmentally...but, Sarah, the next
time someone asks me why I'm not a dog user, I want to have your
e-mails on hand because they would make my case far better than I
possibly could.  (and, yes, I'm aware how ironic this will sound to
anybody who remembers the stir I created a while back because I wanted
to get a dog and bring him...or her...or whatever to a training
center.)
  And, please, before anybody gets their knickers all twisted up over
this, I'm definitely not anti-dog.  I know some fantastic travelers
who happen to be dog users; I also know some terrible travelers who
happen to use canes instead.  My point is simply that, having the
personality I do where I want to wait my turn like most everyone else,
and hearing the kinds of stories I do from Sarah and from most dog
users I'm acquainted with about how ansy/skiddish/uncomfortable/needy
their dogs are, I'm pretty darn sure I made the right decision for
myself.  This isn't a condemnation, much as some people might construe
it as one.  Canes can certainly bring issues of their own...but my
straight cane won't have a panic attack if I decide to leave it at
home and take my folding cane instead, and vice-versa.
  Anyways, sorry for the rambling...I'm trying to find every possible
excuse I can to distract me from my political science homework,
because Plato's Republic is really hurting my fragile little head
right now.  :)  I really didn't mean this as a knock against competent
dog-users or, really, against Sarah at all.  I just meant to say how
stories like this reinforce my belief that, in choosing not to get a
guide dog, I think I made the right decision for me.
  Best,
Kirt