[nabs-l] canes and water park rides

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 19:21:38 UTC 2013

Julie,
  I'm making my assumptions based on all the blind dog users I know,
both in and out of the Federation.  Of course there are plenty of
competent dog users out there and I didn't mean to imply that there
aren't.  My point was only that most dog users I know, just like most
cane users I know, aren't all that competent, by the definition I gave
in my previous e-mail.  The only difference is that many people I know
who apply to go to guide dog school (myself a couple years back
included), seem to be doing it because they aren't competent travelers
and they want something external to fix that internal issue.  I have
nothing negative to say about competent dog users; more power to them
for choosing a travel aid which increases their independence.  Sadly,
and this is not a criticism of the genuinely capable people who use
dogs, but most dog-users I know tend to use their dogs as a crutch
rather than a tool to increase independence.  Am I making any sense?
  Best,
Kirt