[nabs-l] canes and water park rides

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 20:02:18 UTC 2013

Keitie,
  I won't deny that having a GPS is incredibly useful in unfamiliar
places; still, to me, it doesn't seem necessary.  It's convenient and
helpful (sometimes) but I would almost suggest getting used to
traveling in new places without it, just so you don't build a
dependence.  The skill that seems to serve me the best, which I
learned very well from my cane travel teacher (who, incidentally,
happens to be blind), is knowing how to ask the right questions
without looking lost.  I've found that, even if I don't know where in
the world I'm supposed to go, I'd best be confident and in control
when I'm asking questions so I get the information I need instead of a
well-meaning follower for the next half hour.  ;)
  I guess all I'm trying to say is that not having a GPS need not be a
reason for not going out.  If you want to explore, do it.
Inconvenience and a longer walk be damned.  (at least sometimes...I
recognize the need for efficiency in most situations.)  I'm moving out
of my parents' house soon (try getting quality independence training
then moving back home.  It's a crazy trip for sure.), so I'll be in a
situation where I can travel the way I like more often, without having
to go out of my way to do so.  I know this is very disjointed but I
hope you get what I'm trying to say.
  Best,
Kirt