[nabs-l] Wanted to share my experience living at Friedman Place, a supportive living community for blind adults in Chicago

Sam Nelson samnelson1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 9 13:17:49 UTC 2013

 Hi again, (If you  write your name at the bottom of your next e-mail I'll
know how to spell it right)
 I totally agree with all of this. Especially about hidden disabilities like
autism and mental illness. Sadly, even here at Friedman, that is one thing
that is poorly understood and sometimes handled, how to work with  both the
needs around being blind and around other issues. I think more education
needs to happen in both areas, as in in places like this to have more
competency in helping those with say mental illness, and in the mental
health and other disabilities fields around blindness. Because it's hard for
the two to come together.
Unfortunately , I had to be my own advocate in finding mental healthcare
since moving to Chicago. Some places I went to or called about were
reluctant to take me because I'm blind, trying to send me to a blindness
organization because they saw on their website they provided counseling.
They didn't understand this was counseling mostly on dealing with vision
loss.
 So for my particular  situation, this is the perfect place for me.
 I'm also originally from MA. I deal with anxiety too and choose to  use The
Ride, and paratransit in Chicago as well. Though with a friend here who has
more sight than I do we do more walking than I've ever done to local places,
and he has taken me on the bus. I didn't really like  it and certainly
wouldn't go alone. There are even areas of the transportation system,
particularly underground, that he wouldn't choose to take me on even with
him with me due to gangs and other scary things like that.
 One thing I would love to see happen is the creation of supportive living
facilities for the blind and those with say, autism, mental illness or other
types of issues at the same time. It would be so great to have integrated
care for everything, and  a community of peers and staff that was
compassionate and understanding towards one another on the variety of issues
people face. I think that's slowly happening at Friedman (maybe a little bit
because I can't keep my mouth shut about trying to advocate for the views of
those with mental illness LOL!), but I know things can get much better and I
feel will someday.
  Again LM, thanks for your  thoughtful reply!
 Sam