[nabs-l] Wanted to share my experience living at Friedman Place, a supportive living community for blind adults in Chicago

justin williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 18:56:24 UTC 2013

Wel said.

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Carly Mihalakis
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:37 PM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list; National
Association of Blind Students mailing list
Cc: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] Wanted to share my experience living at Friedman
Place, a supportive living community for blind adults in Chicago

Good morning, wmodnl,

         For me, In addition to bienucleation resulting from retinal
blastoma, I acquired brain damage at age 19, and that, of course is
one of those hidden disabilities about which no one suspects from
looking at me, I'm just a lil' retarded so that  I can't readily
figure things out, must hit me like a ton 'o bricks, before there is
understanding to be had. For me, a biproduct of brain damage has been
a crippling tactile appraxia (inabillity of limb to communicate with
brain thus rendering use of braille, a little bit of a pipe dream.
This has effected, embodying a "real" blind person. To be one of
those folks whom don't even read braille, when tactilly experienceing
what I read used to be such an integral layer of my learning. So 10
years later, some re-inventing is in order, to make something that
resembles progress in a forward-looking trajectory.

Anyone know what my point is?; but, for some people for there
personal choice, they are not a good fit.  One size does not fit all;
nor, does one program or philosophy fit all people within a group.
>For example, here in Boston, the transit system has a program where
>the blind ride for free.  Also, they have integrated a customer
>service system, where you can get assistance to navigate from your
>incoming bus or subway to your next transfer.  I do not use this
>unless I feel a need to.  For example, yesterday was opening day at
>Fenway Park.  I am sure, I would have used the help navigating with
>a cane or dog through a crowd of thousands to get from the subway to
>the bus just outside the park, to avoid encountering problems.  Two
>of my friends feel safer using the service when ever they
>travel.  This is due in part to anxiety issues, them being people
>who get easily disorientated.  Knowing this, i have a question for you.
>Do I have a right to act like an authority figure telling them to do
>something else; or, is it my duty as a blind person to undermine and
>belittle them because they "do not meet a "special standard?"
>As a whole, we as a people need to start thinking from a model
>approach of the social model.  We need to educate our culture to
>adapt, to make and integrate a user-friendly environment on a
>cross-disability platform.  This is just my opinion, have a great day.
>
>Sent  from my iPad
>
>On Apr 9, 2013, at 6:59 AM, "Joshua Lester" <JLester8462 at pccua.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hi Sam!
> > First of all, welcome to the list!
> > I'm against these supportive living facilities, because it gives
> the notion that blind people can't get employment, take care of
> themselves, cook for themselves, etc.
> > I'm not hear to be offensive to you, but I'd like to share with
> you the fact, that there is a better life!
> > Have you ever heard of the Louisiana Center for the Blind?
> > They'll teach you the independence skills, so that you can take
> care of yourself, and get a job!
> > We aren't some charity ccase for the state!
> > I'm praying that you can get in this training center.
> > The only good a supportive living facility is only for those with
> other disabilities.
> > Thanks, Joshua

If

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/jlester8462%40pccua.edu