[nabs-l] Wanted to share my experience living at Friedman Place, a supportive living community for blind adults in Chicago

Sam Nelson samnelson1 at verizon.net
Wed Apr 10 18:07:56 UTC 2013

Hi Mauricio,
>From reading about some of the views of people in the NFB, it does sound
like this happens at times. Like people feel they need to do absolutely
everything  completely on their own and not ask for help at all.
 As Robert pointed out last night, and I have been trying to say,
independence is different for different people.  My version of independence
is just as valid, for me, as  anyone else's. I'm not telling any of you who
are happy living alone and have a different perspective than I do to come
move here. So I wish people wouldn't keep continuing to say on the one hand
that they're happy I'm here, but on the other hand that I should really go
to a center that I've said several times I'm not  interested in, and that my
life would be so much better if I lived on my own. You don't know the ins
and outs of my circumstances, and I don't feel like I need to tell you. But
to keep up trying to get me to  do things your way, even if it's in a subtle
way, is just very overwhelming for me.
 When I wrote  this list I did so with the good intention of just giving
information about a place that has helped me  and others so much. I know how
hard the transition to being a young adult can be and all the factors that
take considering. I just didn't want  anyone to have to search as long and
hard as I did to find Friedman, if they were looking for a place like this.
 I didn't think I'd get so much controversy in return, or be  made to feel
like my life will only be "at it's potential," if I live completely on my
own as so many of you are. I appreciate this works for you, but don't
appreciate being subtly pressured into  adopting this lifestyle for myself.
 I think this conversation has run its course, and some of us are gonna
have to agree to disagree on some things. Like I said, in putting this
information out there I never  thought this would happen.
 I will say that if anyone is interested in learning more about Friedman for
either themselves or a friend or family member you're welcome to write me
off list.
 Thanks so much.
 Sam