[nabs-l] Voc Rehab request denied

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Thu Apr 11 01:28:37 UTC 2013

Yes I have also found this to be the case for the most part with voc rehab.

I was in school several years ago and requested a copy machine so I could
do all my large printing because the teachers were not putting in thier
book orders in time for APH to large print the books. They denied it at
first but I stood my ground. I showed them that over time this was actually
less expensive and I would be more successful in my courses having large
print form day one and on demand.  I got the copy machine and it really
worked well for my needs.

In this case none of the Arizona eye doctors can do what the one's in
Indiana can. I am only asking for the cost of the exam and the contacts.
The contacts which they approved to buy will not be any cheaper if the A
doctor orders them. But what they will be is the wrong color and darkness
since none of the AZ doctors have adequate means to find the right color.
Some achoromats actually use one color in one eye and one in another. They
did not even offer to pay a portion based on what the AZ vendors would
charge them.

The supervisor is the one who is the problem. The hard part is the
counselor being the middle man so she is not adequately explaining my needs
and why this would be the right choice.

I filed an official appeal. Then I got a call from the ombudsman saying my
counselor told her I no longer wanted to proceed with the appeal. I said
that was not true. I do want the appeal.

I submitted a 15 page document stating my cse including what each of the AZ
doctors said they would do. One picks the color based on a few "most
popular" colors yet most eye doctors have never seen an achromat or fitted
them with the right color filter.

I already spent $1000 out of pocket for script glasses, script sunglasses
and trying to back off the darkness of my contacts by 30% I only needed
these for school or work. While I was unemployed I just used contacts with
script since I wasn't doing any close work. The 30% reduction wasn't
enough. I need to find a different color. The red makes it harder to read.
So it may turn out I need orange or magenta but I won't know that unless I
go to a place that can properly test for the right color.

I can say they did go with my choice for transportable cctv (the magnilink)
and for hand held cctv.