[nabs-l] NFB and Independence

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 06:32:29 UTC 2013

Absolutely, goals are individual for a reason.  Everyone is going to
want to accomplish different things for themselves and in different
ways.  In most cases the way one chooses to do something isn't
necessarily wrong if it's different, and that's what we get so hooked
up on as others have already said in the thread.  I can't remember to
said it, (and I'm too lazy to go hunting for the person's name at past
2:00 in the morning), but someone on this list said that that was one
of the negative attributes of the NFB.  I kind of say yes and no to
this.  I have met some hard core
do-everything-on-your-own-or-else-you're-not-independent people in the
NFB, but I have also met plenty of awesome people who are very
independent by their own definitions and who make reasonable
judgements about what help they do or do not take, what things they
want to do, how they want to go about doing them, etc.  Overall, the
vision and philosophy of the NFB is good, I just think that like very
organization there are some who take things a little more literally
than others.  Because of this, I don't have a beef at all with the NFB
as an organization, even if I may view the super-independence thing as
over the top myself.

Sam, that's good to hear they encourage independence.  I know that for
some people just getting the motivation or the confidence to do
something on their own is a big deal, so it's great that they're
encouraging that in things like independent travel around the campus.

Kaiti