[nabs-l] NFB and Independence

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 15:24:11 UTC 2013

I was also bothered by the stages presented in that speech for similar
reasons as Desiree. I don't really like stage models in general
because I think everyone's experience is different and few people will
move in a nice clean sequence from one stage to the next. I know I
have exhibited rebellious independence at times, but it usually
happens when I feel like my basic dignity is being threatened. When I
was at the Louisiana Center for the Blind I didn't experience
rebellious independence much at all because my basic dignity was
affirmed. However, when I was a teenager I think I showed both fearful
insecurity and rebellious independence at the same time because I was
conflicted about whether or not I was deserving of independence and
dignity.
I have also felt that the blind-from-birth experience isn't always
given due attention in NFB literature, and in some ways our
experiences are a lot more complex than those who become blind later
in life. In many ways being born blind is like being born an alien on
a foreign planet where everybody else has some capacity you don't
have. It's a lifelong process of adjusting to this foreign world, and
your marginalized status within it, not a process of adjusting to any
kind of loss.
Arielle