[nabs-l] Google car takes to the streets

Robert William Kingett kingettr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 16:11:13 UTC 2013

Well here's what I believe, these are just my beliefs, obviously, and
general things I've noticed as a blind person.

I don't know about you but I've ever been really early or really late to
appointments, and more times than not I have had both instances happen.
I wait for a really long time, sometimes out in the heat or cold because
the building hasn’t opened up even thoughmade sure to schedule my ride
for a certain time, or, I'm blubbering and stuttering apologies for my
tardiness and then explaining that I use public transportation, thus
taking an excuse for myself even though it's a valid one and one that I
have to make to my boss,, or in my case, my editor because I didn't get
to an event on time, thus rendering the story I was going to write
useless because, a fellow sighted journalist, with his own car has
independently, and with no reliance, made it there before I have. For
school I've had to arrive on campus an extra hour earlier because
Paratransit is so unreliable. Sometimes, even though I scheduled to get
picked up two hours ahead of time it would take that long to get to
school, and I have arrived at the start of class. Sometimes, I get there
within 30 minutes leaving me to wonder around campus for a class that
didn't start until two hours later. On a personal note I used that time
to venture around the campus, mental mapping, and also keeping a vigil
eye out for any sexy black man who could rock my world or even walk me
to class, if he even shared the same sexual preference as me. LOL. I
never found my soul mate while wandering around the campus but I knew it
a lot better than anyone. I did see a lot of good looking straight guys
though, to which I had fun with my imagination. Ahem, anyway…

On a different scenario… paatransit’s operators have messed up. I won’t
bore you all with the details but here's the shimmy. They mess up the
times, even when I use the relay service and the relayoperator repeats
the times, dates, etc. drivers have left and they didn't get out and
call my name, etc. you all have been there, so that's all I will say on
the subject. I don't know about you but I don’t want to have those
things happen. The Google car is the perfect solution, and by the way,
it's here, on the market, in Nevada already. What Google is doing me
installing their software and stuff onto cars made by manufacturers?
Toyota has three cars equipped and rolling down Nevada streets already.
Professors use it, etc. I'll send you all coverage on it later, but it's
here, this want happen in another 20 years from now, because they have
actually started making the car in 2011, two years ago. The first public
showing of the car was in 2012. With the cloud and stuff, seriously, it
updates itself so there isn't much more work needed on the software.
Everything is cloud based, so I update itself, ahem, through the cloud.
Smile. If you live in Nevada, You’ve seen a Google car beside you, you
just haven’t noticed. Very rich people are using these cars already.
It's here now, at least, in Nevada anyway. Anyway, moving on to my
original point… another thing…

Now, it's the law of the blind to live in a place of public
transportation. It's a requirement. If you’re blind, and if you want to
have a good job then live here where there's a lot of public
transportation and good Paratransit, because, if you want to be working
then what other voice do you have. A lot of jobs, even in this day,
can't be done at home…a and most people won’t have a sighted partner for
a long time. By the way, side note, I will. Smile. One day. I’d really
not to be bound by that catch 22.

By the way, sometimes, it's a hindrance to take backup measures, what I
mean by this is, say, for example, always take cash incase Paratransit
fails you so bad you resort to cabs, always memorize the bus routes
unless you want to be lost when, and if, Paratransit leaves you past
their driving times. I don’t want to have to be taking these cautious
measures just because I'm blind and there's no other option. Sighted
people don't have to. I always do but I’d love to just call upon my car,
hop in, and go if I ever get in a jam and need to get somewhere fast.

Also, it would be nice to not schedule 24 hours ahead of time to go
someplace fun, etc. I want to just go and not be restricted. Seriously,
this is the best thing that has ever happened. Insurance, cost, and
possible technological failures aside, I'm behind this car with every
bone in my body because it will allow me, as both a blind journalist and
a blind person who has fun every once in a while, so many leverages,
pivoting me up on the same leave as sighted peers, or coworkers. By the
way, the technology for failsafe exists. If a malfunction in the
software happens the car will audibly tell us, the blind driver, and
then pull over. You'll have to call the appropriate person, if it's
really bad. But again, the software is working on cloud technology so it
will download the needed repairs automatically. If it's a minor issue
then it will ask you if you want to pull over to resolve it. If you want
to read the same news I've been reading then message me off list. A CNN
reporter commented on seeing one in Nevada pull into the parking space
reserved for principals as opposed to teachers. Trust me, it's here now,
and I'm so excited I'm squirming!