[nabs-l] Google car takes to the streets

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:48:21 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Joshua,

If you read the entire thread Patrick brings up a good point.  We
haven't heard anything about the blind driver challenge or the car
advancing from the prototype in years.  It hasn't been a big thing
since 2011.  After the car was driven at Daytona we didn't hear
anything more about the interface being upgraded, more safety features
being added, etc.  So, to a lot of people, even staunch
federationists, the issue seems dead... what else are we supposed to
think if we haven't heard about the car for so long?  That is why we
need to get behind the google car.

Also, another thing to consider, I'm all for supporting the NFB, but
even when The Blind Driver Challenge was going on I wasn't a big fan
of the interface involving a vest and whatever else the contraption
needed to work.  If I'm going to have a car having to suit up first
kind of defeats the purpose of being able to get up and go.  Plus, the
car was driven by a blind person at Daytona, but very slowly.  If this
google car is as good as it says, it's already driven on the highway,
which with other cars around would have required at least reaching
60-65 miles.