[nabs-l] Google car takes to the streets

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Tue Apr 16 02:05:21 UTC 2013

Hello Kirt,
I've not been following this topic very close, but you made a statement
I don't really agree with. Maybe you were just running with an idea; I'm
not really sure, but you mentioned the idea that if Google were not to
get the publicity for their car they wouldn't do it.

Google as a company supports lots of free open-source software that
helps people every day. Sure, they are around to make money, but when it
comes down to it they do a lot more for people who use their services
than most. Google has not done anything in the past 5 years to suggest
or even hint at the idea that they would take such a position.

when it comes down to it, we need companies like Google and Apple; they
are allowing us to use their phones by default without to much extra
work. Android has a ways to go for sure, but they really don't have to
do what they're doing and it's an awesome alternative as opposed to say,
the KNFB reader for more than $1000. You mention affordable solutions
and affordable cars; Google is one of the companies that doesn't require
we wear new driving clothes to drive a car and rob bank chains to get
the equipment.
On 4/15/2013 7:39 PM, Kirt Manwaring wrote:
> [...]
> people talking about this.  Would we even be having this conversation
> had we not had the Blind Driver Challenge a coule years ago?  It's
> something worth thinking about.
>    Now, although I would probably get a google car once the price
> became managable, which would likely be several years after the dang
> thing became publicly available, I have a few things I want to say.
> I'll be addressing Peter specificly but, well, this applies to things
> other people have said also.
>    Peter,
>    I respect your passion and enthusiasm.  I really do.  Still, and I
> say this with the greatest civility and respect I possibly can, but if
> you aren't gainfully employed with a very well-paying job, I don't
> think you have any business saying that us as blind people can do
> things, right now, to save up for this car.  For the first several
> years it's on the market, this thing will probably be incredibly
> expensive, I'd be willing to bet it will be somewhere up in six
> figures for a long time before the price drops to levels that most
> working people, either blind or sighted, can afford.  I don't mean to
> be flippant but...where in the world are you going to get that kind of
> money?  If you're one of the majority of blind people who isn't
> working, how do you even hope to think about possibly having the
> barest hint of the ability to save up that kind of money on social
> security?  Now you can say "well...get a job."  I agree with that
> sentiment wholeheartedly.  Still, if you take the stastics we hear all
> the time at face value, only thirty percent of blind people are
> employed.  Most of those people have a nice five-figure income, just
> like most working people in America.  Most of that money probably goes
> to house payments, existing car payments (yes.  blind people have car
> payments when they have a family to worry about), taxes and probably a
> diversified portfoleo of financial investments if they are smart.  How
> is someone, even the average working blind person going to be able to
> afford a car that will likely cost as much as a small house when it's
> released to the public?
>    Don't get me wrong.  I think history has shown us that the prices
> for this thing will drop the longer the technology is on the market.
> Computers used to cost as much as cars; now, even those of us living
> on SSI can afford decent laptops if we're smart and save up for them.
> Still, I think it's a very long time before the average blind person
> will be able to afford one of these cars, let alone a private jet.
>    Best,
> Kirt
>
> On 4/15/13, Peter Donahue <pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>> Hello Arielle and everyone,
>>
>>      Particularly if the person operating the Google car would need to take
>> over its control in an emergency. Since the technology to allow a blind
>> person to drive independently why should we be left out.

>>> nabs-l:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/dotkid.nusbau
>>> m%40gmail.c
>>> om