[nabs-l] Turning a Page for the Blind

Robert William Kingett kingettr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 01:36:33 UTC 2013

JBI International’s Braille materials and audiobooks help blind Jews
stay connected to the community

Yael Korc, age 10 and a half, has been blind since birth. Retinopathy of
prematurity robbed her of sight, but her parents, Rebecca and Marcelo
Korc of El Paso, Texas, are determined not to let this slow her down.
Yael studies karate and loves to swim. And, thanks to Braille, she is
also a voracious reader—her favorite books include the Nancy Drew and
Boxcar Children mysteries and the Ramona stories by Beverly Cleary.

“She adores reading,” Rebecca said. “Anything in Braille, even if it’s
just an elevator sign, helps her feel included.”

The same holds true for Jewish texts, as Yael attends Hebrew school and
starts to prepare for her bat mitzvah. Here, too, Braille helps her feel
included. “Her Sunday school materials help her feel like any other
member of her class,” said Rebecca. “She reads books in English and
Jewish texts in Hebrew, and because Marcelo works for the World Health
Organization and we used to be stationed in Bogota, she can read Braille
in Spanish, too.”

Many of Yael’s books come from JBI International (established in 1931 as
the Jewish Braille Institute), which has provided her with books in all
three languages. “She flew through the entire beginning Hebrew primer,”
her mom said proudly. “It took all of eight weeks. Now she keeps up with
her class; she just learned Ein Keloheinu—she’s unstoppable!”

If Yael wished to study Jewish subjects in Russian, Yiddish, Hungarian,
or Romanian, she could do that through JBI, too. The organization serves
over 35,000 blind or vision-impaired clients around the globe; it has
translated prayer books for all Jewish denominations into Braille,
distributed free large-print Haggadot at Passover, and recorded over
13,000 audiobooks of Jewish interest. Thirty-five years ago, it
established a vision clinic in Tel Aviv that now serves 6,000 people a
year, from blinded Israeli soldiers to Arab infants to homeless folks in
shelters to seniors in assisted-living facilities.

How does the organization decide which books to record or to translate
into Braille? “It’s hard to learn Braille after childhood, so most of
our Braille materials are songbooks for camps, specific requests for
children going to Hebrew school, and liturgical and scholarly
materials,” said Ellen Isler, CEO of JBI. “As for audiobooks, I read
Publishers Weekly, The [London] Times Literary Supplement, and the
Jewish Review of Books to help identify books that will be of interest
to our clientele. Then we check to see if they’ve already been recorded
by the Library of Congress or by a commercial audiobook publisher like
Audible.com, in which case we won’t do them. We have a reciprocal
relationship with the Royal Institute for the Blind in London; The
Central Library for the Blind, Visually Impaired and Handicapped in
Israel; and the CNIB Library in Canada—we’ll share materials.”

JBI is part of a program called the National Library Service for the
Blind and Visually Handicapped, which the Library of Congress
established in 1931. Then in 1996, Rhode Island Sen. John Chafee
sponsored legislation that exempted materials for the blind from
copyright strictures, which let authorized entities like JBI record and
distribute audiobooks free of charge. Back in prehistoric times, those
books were on phonograph records the National Library Service sent to
its clients. Eventually records gave way to cassette recorders, and then
cassette recorders begat the Digital Talking Book Machine (DTBM), an
easy-to-use little gadget that even the most technophobic can operate.
Audiobooks are stored on flash drives (with a thumb-shaped indentation
on top so they can’t be inserted upside down or backward), and the
drives and machines are provided free to anyone with visual impairments.
Mailing the drives back and forth to the library is also free—there are
no postage costs to the library or the book-lover. (That’s especially
nice for the seniors enrolled in one of JBI’s hundreds of Talking Book
Clubs in South Florida, held at JCCs, senior centers, and communities
like Century Village. Book Club members get three months of digitized
books at a time, as well as a socializing opportunity, a chance to share
the pleasures of reading with others, and the incentive to get out of
their rooms.)

I asked Isler which books are popular with JBI clients. “Anecdotally,
they love biographies and mysteries,” she said. Some specific titles
currently in heavy circulation are A Tale of Love and Darkness, by Amos
Oz; The Fortune Teller’s Kiss, by Brenda Serotte; The Conversion, by
Aharon Appelfeld; and Daughter’s Keeper, by Ayelet Waldman. “And, of
course, people always request classics such as those by Sholem Aleichem
and I.B. Singer,” said Beth Rudich, the organization’s director of
development.

One of JBI’s most ambitious projects was a collaborative effort with the
Jewish Publication Society: recording the entire Hebrew Bible. Completed
in 2010, it took 13 readers—including actors Theodore Bikel and Tovah
Feldshuh—12 months to do.

***

I’d originally heard about JBI from one of my friends inside the
computer, Elizabeth Burns, who consults for an NLS library and wrote a
fine article about talking-book machines in The Horn Book, a journal of
children’s literature. I called JBI hoping to audition as a reader
myself. Hey, I read to my kids every night! I acted in college plays!

But after seeing JBI’s recording studio, I felt out of my league. The
studio is totally slick, with six soundproof booths and a schmancy audio
system. I’d expected a homey little operation; indeed, back in the day,
the earliest recordings were done at home by Sisterhood members of
various temples, as a mitzvah. “In the summer you could hear the traffic
of Queens Boulevard through the open windows, and you could just imagine
these lovely women sitting at a boomerang table in someone’s kitchen,”
reminisced Jane Blecher, the manager of audio production. But today,
prospective readers have to audition, and many are working New York City
actors. (Authors whose works are selected by JBI are also welcome to
come in and read their own works. Leonard Cohen, Blake Eskin, Francine
Klagsbrun, Cynthia Ozick, Oliver Sacks, Anne Roiphe, and Hilma Wolitzer
have all availed themselves of the opportunity.)