[nabs-l] Research: Representation of blindness in literature

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 21:01:21 UTC 2013

You might want to consider broadening your topic to just blind
characters in literature.  With this you can also include a few more
I've remembered.
The Giver in Lois Lowry's book of the same name.
Haven't read it yet, but I believe one of the main characters goes
blind in Jane Eyre,
Again, haven't read the entire series, but I know Marilla from Lucy
Maude Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables series develops an eye
condition and has to restrict herself from reading and doing other
eye-strenuous activities.  I've read more of the books but since they
focused on Anne in her college years Marilla wasn't too common of a
topic in terms of blindness.
Mary from the Little House on the Prary books,
The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells.  I have not read the short
story but have listened to a radio play from the 50's.  It's a very
perplexing story and depiction of blind people.
Maximum Ride series by James Patterson has a blind character.
The Cay, kind of like Lord of the Flies but the protagonist is blind.
Light a Single Candle and The Letter writer, both historical fiction
books I believe, have not read either yet though.
The Window, kind of deals with a girl's adjustment to blindness in the
emotional sense.  Great book.
The Gathering Blue, the sequel to The Giver.
Pretty Little Liars has a blind girl in it.
there are plenty of characters out there, but I'm not sure how many of
them would fit into your search criteria as it is now.  Blind
characters are all over the map in literature though.

Kaiti