[nabs-l] Studying Law

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 03:23:47 UTC 2013

Hi Helga,

Yes, Suzanne is right.  The way I'm set up I have my disability
coordinator, who does all my testing and school accomodations, makes
sure I have everything I need in terms of textbooks and that the IT
department has "Jaws-proofed," the web sites so I can get to all the
information.  She's great, but like other disability services
personelle across the board at colleges that's what she specializes
in.  She wouldn't be able to give me advice on my major because that's
stuff she doesn't know.  I'd set up a meeting with an advisor for your
major.  If you've already declared yourself as pre-law, you should be
able to go to that department or your college within the university
whatever it may be called to find out who that is.  If you've declared
something else as a lead up to law school, like business, human
rights, international studies, history, psychology, etc, then you'd
want to go to that department and start with that advisor first,
letting them know that you want to persue law school after completing
your undergrad from the get go.  My advisor, for example, is a music
therapist, so he has the background and experience to advise me and
the other music therapy majors on what steps to take in order to
fulfill our academic requirements.  Once you find out who your advisor
is you should be able to have a lot of your questions explained, and
they'll be there for you to go over things each time before you
schedule new classes which is really nice because sometimes they catch
mistakes you miss when trying to plan your schedule on your own.  Most
advisors are also free by email or phone to discuss other questions
throughout the year as needed.

Sometimes students will have two advisors though.  For example, I know
people who are double majoring who have a separate advisor for each of
their majors, and those advisors can communicate with each other
through the mutual student to make sure all the requirements are being
met.  I kind of know how this works to an extent, because although I
don't have a separate advisor for my psych minor I still have to make
sure I follow the psych department guidelines and get in touch with
someone who is a psych department advisor in case I'm confused or need
clarification on the guidelines for getting the minor.  This is
because although music therapy uses a lot of psych, it really isn't my
advisor's responsibility to know the full ins and outs of other majors
and minors outside of the one he advises for.  I don't want to make
generalizations, but so far in my experiences with different colleges
that's how I've seen it work.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Kaiti,
Music Therapy major, University of Dayton class of 2016.

Kaiti