[nabs-l] Studying Law

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 03:38:51 UTC 2013

Agreed.  Toastmasters, debate team, Academic bowl, or anything along
those lines would be great for an aspiring lawyer to get involved in.
Debate would be great if you wanted to practice forming arguments and
rebuttles, and aside from being fun academic bowl teams really help
you get fast at recalling facts.  Also, some schools have mock trial
teams or classes you can sign up for, so I'd definitely check if your
school has one or the other.

On 4/25/13, Kaiti Shelton <crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com> wrote:
> One of the things I think would really be beneficial for you is if you
> sit down with your advisor and formulate a plan.  My department
> requires everyone to make a plan at least for the duration of time
> they're in school there, some choose to plan further ahead like for
> grad school or internships from the start.  This plan mapps out short
> and long term goals, the skills you want to master, and the courses
> you need to take to fulfill all your requirements.  You can tick these
> off as you go and you're supposed to update your list to make it more
> precise as things change.  In theory, your list should shrink in time
> as the number of requirements to complete decreases, but your goals
> should become much more specific and from there you can start planning
> further ahead.  For example, since I'm now done with Freshman year I
> have a three year plan, plus a list of possible internship sites I
> might want to keep an eye on for later.  I can see the things I've
> improved on over this year as well as the things I want to work on,
> and used the planning sheet to keep myself on track for scheduling
> next semester.  It's a great way to keep yourself on track and
> organized.  You can do this on your own if you're comfortable just
> perusing your school web sites for the information, but since you're
> looking more long term to an undergrad degree and law school I think
> it would be great to do some of this with an advisor's input, or map
> something out and let them know what you think and see how that stacks
> up.
>
> Good luck.
>
> On 4/25/13, Kaiti Shelton <crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, I even have heard that some lawyers specialize in technology law.
>>  They primarily work in areas like the Cilicon Valley  in California
>> (Sorry... I've written too many papers as of late and can't figure out
>> how to spell things any more), but just about everything has a
>> practical application.  Heck, I know a pre-med major who is
>> considering acutally going into medical law instead of becoming a
>> doctor, so just about anything goes as long as you do it well.
>>
>> On 4/25/13, Kirt <kirt.crazydude at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Arielle, The way I understand it, law schools don't really care what
>>> your
>>> undergraduate degree is. If anything, I've been encouraged to stay away
>>> from
>>> things like history and political science if I want to go to law school,
>>> most people I've talked to seemed to think law schools appreciate more
>>> diversity nowadays. So, the way I've heard it, your undergraduate major
>>> doesn't matter nearly as much as how well you perform in whatever major
>>> you
>>> choose. You might want to think about majors that would give you
>>> practical
>>> experience similar to what you would be doing in the field of law. For
>>> example, an English major might get you used to riding large papers,
>>> which
>>> is an integral part of being a lawyer. A philosophy major would teach
>>> you
>>> all about how to make logical arguments Which are internally consistent
>>> And
>>> valid… Obviously, that would be invaluable preparation for law.  For
>>> that
>>> matter, something like a communications major would give you public
>>> speaking
>>> experience, as well as teach you how to present your case is
>>> effectively…
>>> If
>>> you wanted to be one of those lawyers who actually argue in court, this
>>> could be very helpful. Majors like economics, business, accounting and
>>> the
>>> light could be incredible ass sex if you wanted to do corporate or
>>> financial
>>> wall later on. For that matter, the mental work out you would get from
>>> something like engineering or mathematics would serve you well later on.
>>> So,
>>> if you want to go to law school, I would say pick a major that you like

--
Kaiti