[nabs-l] Scanning And Reading Appliance (SARA) vs. Kurzweil

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Apr 27 03:47:37 UTC 2013

Joe,

We don't disagree completely.  Many of the extra features added are seldom used, and one is paying a lot for simply getting a different interface.  Having
gone through many Omnipage upgrades, I have noticed more changes to interface than I have noticed the increased claims of accuracy, though.
Therefore, I am not convinced that one gets ten times better results with FineReader.  I do accept that you may get similar to slightly better results with
Finereader at close to a tenth the cost.  If that is what you mean, I can agree with that.  At least with Kurzweil, though, you actually get two OCR engines,
the FineReader engine and the OmniPage engine, and switching engines can make a difference.  You are right that the engine is not the full software, but
it represents the heart of the OCR process.  You are also right that the engines included in Kurzweil and probably Open Book are usually a version or
sometimes two behind.  These are all things worth considering.  Probably where we may disagree, and I'm not absolutely sure that we do, is that there are
some for whom the computer just isn't second nature.  While such people might be able to master the interfaces of FineReader or OmniPage, they will
never feel comfortable with it.  I've worked with people in that category.  Yet, the simpler interface of Kurzweil is one with which they can feel natural and
they can work more efficiently.  Is it worth the difference in price?  Probably not to you or to me, but if it means being more efficient for some, the difference
might be worth it to them.  That's why I say it is an individual choice, but it is worth trying the off-the-shelf software first if one can do it.  I also think we are
talking about a different situation when one is using OCR software in the work place where it is unlikely anyone else is using it.  I am a strong believer in
using the same word processor and other software as my co-workers.  When I have used OCR for work, though, it was something only I have done, so it
makes less difference which course I choose to follow.  The real question is whether the expensive alternatives give enough of an advantage to be worth
the price.  I don't think the answer is as obviously "no" as you do, but I also don't think people should assume that the expensive alternatives are the only
way they can go.

So where can I find FineReader for $37 or in that price range?

Best regards,

Steve

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/jsoro620%40gmail.