[nabs-l] Free Braille translator

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Apr 29 02:24:19 UTC 2013

Here is information both about NFBTRANS and the GUI WINTRANS "frontend" that I forwarded to lists back in 2011.  I believe the links are still valid:

With help from a number of people, we have extended the life of NFBTRANS and the WINTRANS interface that
allowed one to translate files into contracted braille from Windows.  The old version would no longer run on Windows
7 64-bit computers, but this new version does.  As many of you already know, NFBTRANS allows one to place
formatting commands into plain text files to create reasonably good contracted braille.  It does not directly handle
HTML, DAISY or Microsoft word files as do the commercially available translators, and as does John Boyer's
LIBLOUIS project and as his Braille Blaster project will.  However, this software can provide an alternative that can fill
in the gaps with a little work.

Jamal Mazrui has assisted in creating a better installation procedure and has pulled together some documentation.
Below is his note along with a number of links to documentation and other resources for those who feel they wish to
make changes to the program.  However, if you are interested in just downloading the updated version, you can find it
at

http://EmpowermentZone.com/wbtsetup.exe

A zip archive containing the same files is available at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/wbtsetup.zip

This is open source software and is not officially supported by the National federation of the blind or any other
individual.  Still, there are number of people on these lists who can try to answer questions.

If you are interested in learning more about the more ambitious Braille Blaster project led by John Boyer, check out

http://www.abilitiessoft.com/

This project has the potential of producing braille directly from Microsoft Word, XML and DAISY files and is capable of
doing so now if one has a little technical knowhow.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson