[nabs-l] Umass:

wmodnl wmodnl wmodnl at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 3 14:51:23 UTC 2013

Below is a link, that can help the student interested in the programs for students with communication disabilities.
http://www.umass.edu/sphhs/communication-disorders
http://www.umass.edu/sphhs/communication-disorders/academics/graduate-programs/master-arts/required-courses
I did not open the links to read about the programs; so, I hope they are for grad students.  Anyway...
Take a look at the Umass system-- a haven for people with disabilities!  I have never seen a university, especially Umass Boston that is so open to peopple with all abilities from varying backgrounds.  The campus is a haven both inside and out!  Located on the Boston harbor, Umass Boston is more than a school.  It is a place of peace, a haven where many work together, fostering diversity.
For example, there are two disabled individuals I know who came to work with a set of skills.  While on the job, there lives drasticly changed.  In stead of going through the a-typical company things, individuals like there supervisors worked together to research the needed tools and resources for them to work effectively.  We will become a model system for teaching, and educating the world on how to best use a social model for providing universal design.  My mission is to see this school continue to be the beacon of hope and possibility, just like the city of Boston.  Moreover, with the tools and resources already in-place, it is my mission to see us become a model of inclusionary practices both as a school and employer.  I am going to end with a quote from someone who said:
"We are a research institution.  There is no excuse for the status-quo.  As a result, it is our job at this institution to always have a can-do attitude while interacting with everyone who walks through our doors.  No two people learn the same.  Similarly, no two people do a job the exact same way.  We all have different tools that we utilize.  One way is not better than another.  As long as the task is completed, whether it is a job or paper in school, the point is that it was completed.  It does not matter in the end, that you may use different tools to get the job done."
Have a good day and weekend.

Sent from my iPad