[nabs-l] which graduate program

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 20:18:49 UTC 2013

Hi Kelsey,

Lucy and Justin were both right on.  I would definitely make an effort
to go visit those schools.  Set up meetings with profs in your degree
program and try to speak to some students in the program to see how
they like it.  I would also set up consultation appointments with the
disability services people and try to find a blind student from their
office to talk to about accessibility.  I would also try to find a
practicing speech pathologist who is blind so you can ask questions
about the adapted techniques they use on the job and other questions.

I will say this since I was recently in Columbus.  They have a pretty
good para-transit system from what I've gathered called Mainstream.  I
can't speak about the OSU neighborhood as I was closer to the state
school for the blind while I was there, but I'm sure you know the
campus is pretty expansive and a small town in it's own right.  I
think you really should visit there and the other school too to get a
truer idea of what the students there say about it, how neighborhoods
are, etc.

On 8/3/13, justin williams <justin.williams2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You should definitely get in contact with someone who is blind in those
> areas; and try to find a total, or someone who operates about like you do
> if
> you can.  Most importantly, find the right fit for you.

Kaiti