[nabs-l] which graduate program

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 03:46:01 UTC 2013

Hi Kelsey and all,

In terms of picking a university based on travel and transportation, I
totally agree with Joe.  My own university has some shady surrounding
neighborhoods, but as long as you know what areas are safe and what
are better to avoid and you're smart in taking preventative measures,
it's not so bad.  And some of the examples of schools in rough
neighborhoods he gave are also like Dayton; Temple and Drexel in
downtown Philly are both in rough areas, as well as some of the other
ones in Ohio like the University of Cincinnati near where I live.  It
all boils down to being smart when you travel.  I agree you should
consider your transportation options and try to learn as much about
the public and para-transit systems as you can, but don't rule out
schools based on safety or transportation alone when the quality
academics can superceed some of the surrounding issues.

But, as a young blind woman going to school away from home myself,
what AShley has said makes perfect sense.  I generally tend to avoid
traveling after dark because I don't feel safe since I can't see if
anyone is following me or acting weird around me, but if it must be
done then there are a few things you can do.  Whenever possible go
with others who can visually keep an eye on things because there is
strength in numbers.  When you are alone, it might be smart to call a
friend who would be willing to stay on the phone with you while you're
on your way to your destination.  My roommate and I did this when we
were coming back to our dorm room from studying somewhere, and it
worked pretty well because then if something happened the other person
would know to get help.  When you do this it's also good to
periodically give the other person landmarks in the conversation for
this purpose.  It is good to take note of which areas are lit and
unlit, but I personally don't think the lit areas are that much safer
because if something were to happen there is always the possibility of
the crime moving from the lit area to one that is not lighted.
Self-defense skills are great to know, and martial arts training can
also come in handy.  I know a couple of girls who carry small cans of
pepper spray that look inconspicuous too.  One of my friends has one
that hangs on her keychain that looks like a tube of chapstick.  Make
sure that if you choose to get some you know how to quickly and
accurately orient the tube so that the spray can go in the right
direction.

When talking about safety and transportation, it might also be good to
ask if the university offers an escort service, (different from
shuttles that might not run after a certain hour).  My university has
one and it's really handy.  It runs from 7:00 to 4:00 AM and if I'm at
a friend's house or studying in an academic building late I can always
call the escort service to pick me up and drive me back home.  This
way I don't have to be uncomfortable traveling by myself at night, and
I safely get to my room for free.  I would also see if any taxi
companies in the area frequently work with university students or have
a good reputation in case you really get in a pinch.

Good luck with the search.

Kaiti