[nabs-l] which graduate program

Lucy Sirianni lucysirianni at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 4 20:10:57 UTC 2013

I've attended several universities, some of which have had
excellent disability services programs in place and some of which
have most definitely not.  While I think Joe is certainly correct
that a blind student can thrive in a school without strong
disability resources and that this experience can offer valuable
preparation for post-college life, I also feel that there's
nothing at all wrong with taking the quality of various programs
into account as a secondary factor.  I'd advise students not to
be deterred from attending their first-choice schools because of
blindness-related hesitations or to pick a school because it
seems especially "blind-friendly," but I also wouldn't want
anyone to feel bad about seeking out blindness-related
information that might make their decision easier in situations
in which other factors turn out to be more-or-less equal.  Blind
students will always need to advocate for themselves; having
access to even the best of disability services programs will
never negate that, nor should it.  It might, however, make life a
bit less stressful and give students more time to focus on
academics and other pursuits.  That's not 100% necessary, as Joe
reminds us, but it remains a positive thing when not considered
to the exclusion of other factors, and I've never found it to
detract from blind folks' ability to succeed in work environments
later on.

Lucy

A little
>sacrifice is in order if the academics and job prospects after
graduation
>are great.  Besides, I specifically pointed out that considering
public
>transit when choosing a school was a fair point.

>As to safety, no one advocated you be careless.  My point is that
whether or
>not an area is safe is subjective.  Yes, talk to people about the
general
>area, and try to find a location that seems reasonable.  Yet, do
not expect
>to find a completely satisfactory response, because what seems
safe to one
>person will differ from what seems safe to someone else.

>We do not disagree as much as you think.  I just wish you'd
carefully read
>what I wrote before responding.

>Joe

transportation I do
>consider my vision when job hunting.  It sucks but if I cannot
get there, I
>cannot get there.

>And I would consider transportation around a school when looking
at it's
>pros and cons even sighted people take into consideration things
like how
>close are store etc.  I see nothing wrong with wanting to choose
a school
>that has good public transportation.

>And safe neighborhood, that has nothing to do with sight.  I
would not live
>in an unsafe neighborhood sighted or blind.

>Suzanne

>On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Joe <jsoro620 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Kelsey,

>I think it fair to ask what communities offer better public
transportation.
>However, I'm not so sure the safety factor is going to give you
any degree
>of satisfaction.  There are great schools located in the midst of
dubious
>neighborhoods.  Take, for example, the University of Chicago, the
Catholic
>University of America, Temple University, and the list goes on
and on.  If
>safety is a high priority, you may very well decide studying at
home is your
>best bet.

>If you are going to start making blindness a factor in choosing a
school,
>you're going to allow it to be a factor in choosing your future
job.  Yes, it
>would be great if some disability services offered excellent
support.
>Unfortunately, most do not, and that's okay because in the
working world the
>support is zero.  You may as well grow some confidence about
advocating for
>yourself now where the support systems are more plentiful in the
academic
>arena.

>It's a little tough love.  Yet, I assure you in the long run
you'll be better
>for it.  Pick the program based on its potential to give you the
best
>training, the best investment of your time and money.  The rest
has a funny
>way of falling into place when you need it to.

>Joe

Kelsey Nicolay
>Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:13 AM
>To: nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Subject: [nabs-l] which graduate program

>Hello,
>I would like some of your opinions on this.  I just posted that I
am
>interested in a graduate program in speech-language pathobogy.
>I have found three programs so far that sound interested.  One is
at
>University of Akron which is the online program I posted about
before.  The
>advantage to this one is that I can live at home while taking
classes and
>compaete clinicals in my hometown of Medina, Ohio.  The second
progham is
>Ohio State University.  My concern with Ohio State is that I
would need to
>relocate to Columbus.  Therefore, someone from that area, can you
please
>tell me what the safety of that neighborhood would be like? How
is the bus
>transportation? Do they offer any discounts for osu students or
students
>with disabilities? The final phogram I have found so far is
Edinboro
>University of Pennsylvania.  They are a two-year program.  This
means I
>would need to relocate to Edinboro.  What is it like there, if
anyone is
>from that area? Is it a relatively safe community for someone who
is totally
>blind? They do offer free bus transfortation on campus and in the
Erie area
>so that is something else to consider.  Their office of students
with
>disabilities is also national ranked.  Therefore, if you were in
my
>situation, which program would you choose and why?
>Thanks in advance,
>Kelsey Nicolay

for
>nabs-l: