[nabs-l] Fwd: Special Notices and Pen Pals Supplement for August 5, 2013

Deb Mendelsohn deb.mendelsohn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 00:44:48 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matilda Ziegler Magazine for the Blind <editor at matildaziegler.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Subject: Special Notices and Pen Pals Supplement for August 5, 2013
To: Deb <Deb.mendelsohn at gmail.com>

This is the Matilda Ziegler Magazine
Special Notices and Pen Pals Supplement August 5, 2013
Address: 20 Thorndal Circle
Darien, CT 06820
Local Phone: 203-604-8601
Toll Free: 877-424-5481
Website: www.matildaziegler.com
Email: editor at matildaziegler.com
Ren Brighton, Editor

Table of Contents

Special Notices - New Listings
Pen Pals - New Listings
Special Notices - Previous Listings
Pen Pals - Previous Listings
Special Notices - Permanent Listings
Chat Lines
Events

You may skip to a new posting or section at any time by using your browser
or word processor's Find or Search function to look for the ### symbol.
 For entries within a section of the supplement, search for the ## symbol.

Disclaimer:  The following submissions are received from magazine
subscribers or outside organizations who have asked to place free listings
in our magazine.  The Matilda Ziegler Magazine for the Blind gladly serves
as a vehicle for these postings, but neither the Matilda Ziegler Magazine
for the Blind or its affiliates personally endorse any listings held within
this supplement.

SPECIAL NOTICES - New Listings

I am organizing a fund raising project to raise money for the Seeing Eyes
community services outreach. You can raise money by holding raffles, bake
sales or other activities. Any money you raise please send it to the Seeing
Eye and earmark it for community outreach.
Thanks,
Bill Meinecke

##

Well, I finally got an iPhone and I am looking for a good GPS app for the
phone. I am also looking for a good app for reading bar codes, bill
identifier, and scanner for reading print. Any suggestions that anyone may
have would be appreciated. You can contact me at nanpuppy at cox.net  Thank
you in advance.

##

Free to best home: 3-volume Braille edition of The Puzzlemaster
PresentsWill Shortz's Best Puzzles from NPR, volume 2.  Call (505) 662-0408.

##

I am Bob and am hoping to purchase an Ibill, but the older model, not the
newer one that has come out. If anyone has one in good condition, could you
contact me?  My e-mail is harlynn at panix.com and my phone is 347-489-5324.
 If you get my machine, please leave a message and I'll get back to you.

##

The Jewish Museum is pleased to offer Verbal Description Tours, Touch
Tours, and American Sign Language tours. Please refer to the Events section
for more information and a schedule of upcoming tours.

##

I have two guitars, and two amps I am selling. One is an electric guitar,
and the other is a 6-string bass. The amps are small enough for a room, but
put out enough volume to use at a party. Selling the whole package for 800.
Will only sell individual items at 200 as a last ditch resort. If
interested, please send your queries to Michael2369716 at mail.phoenix.edu.
First come, first serve!

##

Global Penfriends is a penpal site that allows people from all over the
world to submit their ad and connect with other penfriends. Profiles are
manually approved and if you activate your premium membership, you could
access all features of the site. I highly recommend it to
others. If you would like to have a look, the link is:
www.globalpenfriends.com

##

Have you been looking for a Braille display but find they're way too
expensive? I am selling an ALVA ABT385 Braille display made by Humanware.
It's an 80 cell display in excellent condition. It was recently cleaned and
works wonderfully. All cables, manuals, software and a carrying case for
all of it is included. You can normally expect to pay thousands of dollars
for a display like this one. But I am selling this for $300 dollars. That's
an offer you can't beat. E-mail me at royamc1959 at comcast.net or call or
text me at 484-274-8416. My name is Roy McCutcheon and I thank you for
reading this.

##

I'm looking for a female friend around the Monroe or Newport Michigan area
who enjoys having fun and wants to spend time with somebody and likes to go
shopping etc. My phone number is 734-430-2537. I would prefer someone in
their 20s or 30s. Thanks, Tonya

###

PEN PALS - New Listings

I am Manjurul Islam, 38 years old Muslim visually impaired man from
Bangladesh. I would like to request all Muslim women who are interested to
make friendship are invited to write to me. my Email address is:
manjurulcleve at gmail.com my Skype ID is: Manjurulcleve
Those ladies, who love Islam but are not Muslim can write to me as well.
Age should be from 20-33. My hobbies are: reading novels, listening to
music, playing chess. Hope I'll get a real friend that can go into a
relationship.

###

SPECIAL NOTICES - Previous Listings

I'd like to share the publication of my novel 'A ciegas en Manhattan'
(Blindly in Manhattan) based on my own experiences as a blind traveler with
Matilda Magazine
readers. It is in Spanish (for now). For more information, readers can
contact me at
nuriadelsaz at ono.com

Two blind friends from Spain travel to New Jersey believing that a blind
person is doubly blind if he or she fails to understand the language of a
country. They choose to stay with a host family in order to experience the
everyday life of an American family. The family happened to be a retired
editor, a lady in her late 70s. What can two young blind women do with an
old lady a bunch of miles from Manhattan?

It is a humorous and inspirational story about normalization,
self-improvement, culture, and much more. No matter how old you are,
whether blind or sighted, with a disability or not, this book speaks of
living and enjoying life no matter what cards life has given you.

Paperback  and e-book available:
http://www.amazon.es/ciegas-Manhattan-vista-pero-pausa/dp/8478984933/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1367579054&sr=8-4&keywords=nuria+del+saz

Contact author for e-books.

##

Unity, a nondenominational Christian organization, produces Daily Word
Magazine free of charge on a bimonthly basis in Braille and on CD. To
obtain a subscription, call Unity Message of Hope toll-free at: 866-421-3066,
or send email to: message-of-hope at unityonline.org.

##

"Lee Rimando" Poetry for children in Spanish. It includes poems by classic
Spanish poets such as Federico Garcia Lorca, Antonio Machado, and
contemporary authors. Printed in Braille and ink-print with tactile and
colourful pictures. Visually impaired parents can enjoy reading in Spanish
with their sighted children.

"Lee Rimando"
24 pages (each page has different colours to visually stimulate the children
Colourful pictures with a variety of textures
Pictures made of felt, fabric, foam, raised paint.
Plastic bound.
30 US dollars (we accept pay pal only)
Shipping: Free matters for the blind

You can see images of this precious book in the following link:
http://www.antojodigital.es/libros/26-lee-rimando.html

To order a copy of this book, please send us an e-mail to
cliente at antojodigital.es

##

This month we have for sale, ceramic dogs of your choice, especially German
shepherds,  Labradors, and any dog who has a good picture. We will produce
the dog as close to the picture as possible. We have sail boats,
lighthouses, mugs, pictures of dogs that are raised to the touch, and
holiday ornaments and some platters for sale. This month we have a small
pond with all objects associated with it are raised to the touch. There is
a turtle with his log, and rocks around the pond plus raised grasses and
raised fish. The items are glazed. The fish are orange, the log is brown,
rocks are gray and fish float around in blue water. The turtle is brown.
The item is about four/six inches  around. The prices may be requested from
kkarenb7410 at gmail.com or call us at: 765 216-6745 and an answering machine
answers after three rings. We will look forward to hearing from you!

##

Hi, Matilda Ziegler readers. I would like an answer for one of these two
questions:
Are there mailing lists for blind TV and movie viewers (or listeners,
technically)? I know there are sites like Blind Mice and ListenToaMovie
where you can download just the audio from movies and TV, and mytvland.netand
blindy.tv where they have streaming "television radio" for the blind, but
what about a mailing list? The mytvland.net site has a listserve, but it's
just for discussing their programming. Are there mailing lists for the
discussion of audio movies and TV for the blind in general, both described
and not described? Whether they discuss Blind Mice, Mytvland, or episodes
converted off YouTube with a video to mp3 converter, all discussion of
audio TV and movies is welcome. If the answer is no, here's the question;
would you like a mailing list for discussion of audio movies and TV, or
even individual lists for comedies, dramas, musicals, etc.? I'm more than
likely going to do one list, but genre-themed lists was just an idea. Send
your answers and suggestions to the following email address.
programmer651 at comcast.net

##

I have been researching buying a cell phone and was wondering what people
have to say about which phone works best for them. I want a simple phone
with no texting and possible audio output. I am legally blind and familiar
with working on computers although my wife has no computer skills so it
needs to be simple. She is a senior so large buttons and easy to use is
essential. Any suggestions or help in this matter is appreciated. Thanks.
Marc Huley - march317t at gmail.com

##

I am requesting to blind persons who know how to write Loglines, Snopsies
and how to preach stories to send me materials so that I can learn how to
do it. In Braille let them use this address:
Lafarge Cement Zambia Plc, Box 32639 Kafue Road, Lusaka Zambia Africa.

Regards, Mubanga Chipalo - mubangachipalo at zambia.co.zm

##

Perk up your summer and your pocketbook. Try for a prize in the fiction
writing contest sponsored by Magnets and Ladders Fall/Winter online
magazine. The deadline is August 15, and the submission guidelines can be
found at magnetsandladders.org. We're looking for strong stories and
characters. Poetry, memoir, and seasonal material are always welcome.

##

Due to a changing lifestyle, I am offering treasured reference books to a
good home. They are:  The Book of Concord: The Confessions of the
Evangelical Lutheran church (24 volumes) translated and edited by Theodore
G. Tappert and Introduction to Lutheranism by Eric W. Gritsch (3 volumes).
 They are in soft cover and in good condition. To receive one or both of
these Braille books, please contact me by E-mail at:  annetap at msn.com or by
phone:  303 744-7407.

##

For Sale- I am selling a BookSense XT for only $200.00 It is in nearly
brand new condition, has the latest firmware, adaptor and includes a 32
gigabyte SD card. I will accept Pay Pal and Money Orders only. If
interested please contact Scott Rumery at blindfaith38 at gmail.com or call
478-993-8717.

##

Hello, I have a Focus blue 40 Braille display. Great condition. I am
selling this for 1000 dollars or best offer. I am also able to trade. I am
looking for a Braille display that is very small and portable, probably 18
cell. Needs to be have bluetooth capabilities. I am also looking for a
Braille notetaker or an unlocked iPhone 5. If interested please contact me
either by email or telephone. When writing email, please make sure to have
in the subject field Matilda mag ad.
Thanks.
Email: af032010 at gmail.com
Phone: 856-673-9073
Mandi

###

PEN PALS - Previous Listings

No previous listings.

###

SPECIAL NOTICES - Permanent Listings

Project Challenge
A support group for all challenge persons:

 Don't you wish that there is a place where you can freely express yourself
and share ideas without any fear of intimidation? A place of camaraderie
and fellowship?

Project Challenge is a unique support group for doing just that!

A support group unlike any other, the objective of Project Challenge is to
Promote and encourages a positive outlook on life. We do this by providing
a supportive environment where Members can share information, keeping one
another up to date on news of interest to them. Also through the delivery
of universal tourism products, services and environments, we at Project
Challenge  encourages and support accessible travel, Harnessing the
opportunities of greater accessibilities to see and to experience what the
world has to offer.
We invite you to join us each and every third Thursday of the month - 2:00:
pm to 4:00: pm:
Where! At Visions Arts & Crafts 1
135 West 23rd Street New York NY 10001 (between 6th and 7th ave).
Call 1-718-922-0118or 347-853-4294
Email projectchallenge at globaltouchtravelcompanion.org

##

Dissociative talk, this is a list for those people who suffer with a
dissociative disorder, this can be dissociative identity disorder, ddnos,
dissociative fugue or any of the other dissociative disorders. Supporters
of those who know a person with did, or significant others of someone who
has did or a dissociative disorder are also welcome.
dissociative-talk-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

##

blind chat, this is a chat list for the blind, anything goes on this list.
It's open to anyone who is blind or partially sighted.
blindchat-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

##

Blind Mental Health: A supportive and friendly e-mail list community.
Feeling overwhelmed and alone? Dealing with tough issues like anxiety,
depression, recovery from trauma and addictions? Want to talk about
balancing demands of work, school, relationships, and maintaining/working
on mental health recovery and developing a support system? No matter what
you're going through you're not alone!
 Join blind-mentalhealth! A confidential, friendly, and resource filled
e-mail list for anyone dealing with the above challenges and more. All
people are welcome no matter their age, race, gender, disability status,
sexual orientation ETC. Just send an e-mail with the subject line left
blank, and in the message put your first name, general location, and
reasons why you'd like to join the group. This is just to ensure potential
members are a good fit, and nine times out of ten they are.

##

Access problems because of your guide dog?
As the leader in guide dog policy and advocacy,the National Association of
Guide Dog Users (NAGDU), a strong & proud division of the National
Federation of the Blind,  sponsors the NAGDU Information & Advocacy
Hotline. This innovative service provides general information about service
animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA),   as well as
specific guidance concerning restaurants, taxicabs, and health care
facilities. In addition, individuals facing discrimination have the ability
to speak with a special advocate trained to mediate access issues. Future
plans for the hotline include summaries of each of the state laws
concerning service animals, more industry specific information, and
guidance in a variety of languages, such as Mandarin and Arabic. The
Hotline is available anytime by calling, toll-free, 888-NAGDU411
(888-624-3841).

##

Friedman Place is a warm, thriving, and diverse community for blind and
visually impaired adults 22 and older, located on the North side of
Chicago. It is in a safe and secure neighborhood, and is equipped with
security cameras to ensure safety. We live in one bedroom or studio
apartments, and can live active and independent lives with privacy, yet
also have support when needed. I have lived here for almost a year. I have
grown so much with this important balance of independence and a solid
support system. Services include nursing staff available 24/7, meals and
housekeeping services, a variety of activities, and plenty of chances for
someone to bring their own gifts and strengths to the community. If you
have any questions I could answer as a resident, feel free to e-mail me. My
e-mail is: samnelson1 at verizon.net
If you would like to inquire more about applying to Friedman Place, please
call Noelle or Heddy at 773-989-9800
You can e-mail them at:
Noelle at friedmanplace.org
heddy at friedmanplace.org Website: www.friedmanplace.org

##

Everyone needs a relaxing, stress free and exciting vacation! Want to meet
new people from around the US and make lasting friendships? At the Oral
Hull Foundation for the Blind and Park we have just the right summer
"Adventure" retreat planned especially for you!

Nestled at the foot of the Mt. Hood National forest, in Sandy, Oregon, our
22 acre forested park is designed especially for those with blindness and
vision impairments. We believe that blindness and low vision should not
mean isolation and dependency. With that belief our retreat center staff
invites you to spend 7 days with us in August to participate in our
Adventure retreats for adults, 18 and over. Adventure I will feature white
water rafting, kayaking, tandem biking, hiking, archery, challenge course
adventures, fishing in our stocked trout pond, workshops to introduce new
assistive technology, unique craft classes, as well as many other surprise
adventures. The Adventure II retreat takes it a step up with more arduous
hikes in and around the NW, rock climbing and more! Both our Adventure
retreats feature a first evening "get to know each other" special dinner
and live music! If you're more inclined to just rest, relax and chill out
then our park has many serene, relaxing and well-manicured gardens to
enjoy. Or, just sit back in our 12 person hot tub or indoor, heated
swimming pool and visit with new friends.

All the adventures above, your room accommodations in our 24 room (48 twin
bed) facility and all meals are included in our 7 day retreat for $500.00.
We can assure you there isn't a better deal around! If you want to tandem
skydive there is an extra charge of $195.00 and an extra $100 for
windsurfing.

Our guests who regularly attend these retreat sessions find that the Oral
Hull Park experience challenges them to do much more than they thought they
could. Our guests range in age from their twenties to eighties and up!
Please call our park office at 503-668-6195 and talk to Susie who can
answer all your questions, or visit our website at www.oralhull.org for all
the latest news and to download registration forms. Payment plans are
available if needed. Don't just think about it…do it now! You'll wonder why
you didn't come to Oral Hull Park sooner.

##

Brailler Repairs

The Selective Doctor, Inc. specializes in the repair of Perkins Braillers.
 They have repaired over 5,800 Perkins Braillers.  Repairs for Braillers
are $60 for labor of manual braillers, plus the cost of parts.  You can
send your brailler Free Matter for the Blind through the US Postal Service
to:

The Selective Doctor, Inc.
P.O. Box 571
Manchester, Maryland 21102

Be sure to insure your package.  Currently insurance of $400 costs about
$6.25.

For more information, please call 410-668-1143 or email
braillerrepair at yahoo.com.  You can also check out our website by visiting
www.selectivedoctor.com.

##

Don't throw away your Braille magazines or books! Support blind children in
Ghana.

Rae Tyler is a volunteer transcriber who works with various schools in
Ghana. She is accepting used Braille magazines and books. The students
there, children and adults, desperately need more reading material of all
kinds.

If you subscribe to magazines from NLS or Reader's Digest from APH and
would like to donate them after you're done reading them, Rae can send you
labels with her address on them. You can re-tape the boxes, peel off the
original label, put on a new label with her address, and send it off using
Free Matter for the Blind.

To request the labels or to communicate with Rae, send an email message to:
ghanaconnection at gmail.com

Thank you for your support!

##

Blind Access Training provides training in web design, screen readers, the
windows and mac operating systems, iDevices, scanning software such as open
book and zoom text.

We provide training using Skype, our online classroom using talking
communities or over the telephone. The rate for training is $30.00 per-hour
and for Web Design training it is $350.00 per topic. We invite readers to
visit us on the web at http://www.blindaccesstraining.com/ and take a
complete look at our list of services, read our free editorials and the
testimonies from other clients who have obtained training from us.

If you have any further questions, feel free to call 1-509-619-4646.

##

Resource List for Parents of Blind Children, contributed by Erin Jepsen.

General info and organizations
Wonder Baby http://www.wonderbaby.org/

Fred's Head http://aph.org/fh/index.html

National Federation of the Blind http://nfb.org/

American Council of the Blind http://acb.org/

Hadley School for the Blind http://www.hadley.edu/

Learning Braille
Hadley School Free Braille Courses http://www.hadley.edu/braillecourses.asp

Braille Bug (teaching basic braille to kids) http://www.braillebug.org/

Braille Transcriber's Course http://nfb.org/braille-certification

Online lessons in braille transcribing
http://www.brl.org/transcribers/index.html

Buying a cane
Ambutech http://www.ambutech.com/

NFB Free White Cane http://nfb.org/free-cane-program

Parents Teaching Cane Travel
The Care and Feeding of the Long White Cane
http://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr15/issue1/f1501tc2.html
Early Explorers Program http://nfb.org/earlyexplorersprogram

Gadgets, Gear and Games
Maxi Aids Vision Store http://www.maxiaids.com/store/ProdIndex.asp?idstore=1

Independent Living http://www.independentliving.com/

Braille Bookstore http://www.braillebookstore.com/

Blind Mice Mart https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Home

Perkins Brailler http://www.perkins.org/store/braillers/

Mountbatten Brailler http://mountbattenbrailler.com/

Braille, eBooks and Audio Books
Seedlings Braille http://www.seedlings.org/

Bookshare https://www.bookshare.org/

Learning Ally http://www.learningally.org/

RoboBraille (converting documents) http://robobraille.org/frontpage

Lutheran Braille Workers (free religious books) http://www.lbwinc.org/

American Printing House http://www.aph.org/

Other Sources of Children's Braille Books
http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?FolderID=2&SectionID=6&DocumentID=1249

Audible http://www.audible.com/

Talking Books http://www.loc.gov/nls/tbt/index.html

LibriVox http://librivox.org/

Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/

Toys Blind Kids Like
List of toys for disabled children
http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?SectionID=82

National Organization of Parents of Blind Children list of toys
http://nfb.org/nopbc-good-toys-blind-kids

How Does a Blind Child Play? http://www.blindchildren.org/edu_dev/3_2_2.html

Videos on Blindness Skills
Washington State School for the Blind
http://www.youtube.com/user/WAStSchBlnd

Finding Used Gear
Blind Bargains http://www.blindbargains.com/

Recycled Aids for the Visually Impaired
http://www.facebook.com/groups/184351638314293/

Also try eBay or Craigslist.

Software and Technology
Kurzweil Text-to-Speech http://www.kurzweiledu.com/default.html

NVDA (free screen reader) http://www.nvda-project.org/

JAWS (most common screen reader)
http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/fs/jaws- product-page.asp

Using VoiceOver on Apple Products
http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/

Braille Software http://duxburysystems.com/

Funding Sources
Lion's Club
http://www.lionsclubs.org/EN/our-work/sight-programs/assistance-requests.php

State Schools and Commissions for the Blind
http://sdsbvi.northern.edu/wwwresources/list.htm

Grants and Scholarships for Blind Children
http://www.afb.org/section.aspx?Documentid=1845

##

GW Micro Launches GWSkype

Fort Wayne, Indiana (December 19, 2011) - GW Micro, Inc. (www.gwmicro.com)
announced a major innovation today for the blind and visually impaired
community.  GW Micro, developers of Window-Eyes, the most powerful screen
reader available, have developed GWSkype - a Window-Eyes app that makes
Skype accessible to all blind and visually impaired people who use a
Windows computer.

Skype is a peer-to-peer service that allows users to call and message
others via the Internet.  Skype users may also call other landlines for a
fee.  While Skype has been around for years, its constantly changing user
interface has been extremely difficult for blind and visually impaired
users.  "Each time the user interface changes, we have to completely write
new a new Window-Eyes app to account for the changes," said Dan Weirich,
Vice President of Sales and Marketing for GW Micro.  "These constant
changes make it difficult or impossible for blind and visually impaired
consumers to continue using the Skype service."

The new GWSkype app will always make the Skype service available to blind
and visually impaired computer users regardless of new versions of Skype
that are released.  The GWSkype app is a Window-Eyes app and demonstrates
the power of Window-Eyes apps unmatched by any of its competitors.  As
Christmas is approaching, GW Micro is releasing the GWSkype app to all
blind and visually impaired users who are running Windows at no cost.  So,
even a consumer not running Window-Eyes can still download and use the
GWSkype app.

"We believe that this is a special time of year and we want to give back,"
said Weirich.  "GWSkype is a special gift from GW Micro to all blind and
visually impaired users of Windows".

The GWSkype app can be downloaded at http://www.gwmicro.com/apps/gwskype.
 You can download the GWSkype live webinar and product demonstration at
www.gwmicro.com/podcast.

GW Micro has been a trusted pioneer in the adaptive technology industry
since 1990, and continues to lead with innovative, customer driven
solutions.

Skype™ is a trademark of Skype Technologies S.A.

Contact:
Dan Weirich, VP of Sales and Marketing
dan at gwmicro.com
(260) 489-3671

##

On the quarterly TSA Disability Coalition teleconference held last week, we
informed our members that TSA planned to launch TSA Cares, a toll-free
helpline to provide information and assistance to passengers with
disabilities and medical conditions and their families before they fly. We
are excited to announce that TSA Cares is now available and accepting calls.

Travelers may call TSA Cares toll free at 1-855-787-2227 prior to traveling
with questions about screening policies, procedures and what to expect at
the security checkpoint. Travelers who are deaf or hard of hearing can use
a relay service to contact TSA Cares or can e-mail TSA-ContactCenter at dhs.gov
.

The hours of operation for the TSA Cares helpline are Monday through Friday
9 a.m. - 9 p.m. EST, excluding federal holidays. After hours, travelers can
find information about traveling with disabilities and medical needs on
TSA's website at:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/disabilityandmedicalneeds/

When a passenger with a disability or medical condition calls TSA Cares, a
representative will provide assistance, either with information about
screening that is relevant to the passenger's specific disability or
medical condition, or the passenger may be referred to disability experts
at TSA. TSA recommends that passengers call approximately 72 hours ahead of
travel so that TSA Cares has the opportunity to coordinate checkpoint
support with a TSA Customer Service Manager located at the airport when
necessary.

TSA will issue a press release regarding TSA Cares later today, as well as
making information about TSA Cares available on www.tsa.gov. We will
provide you with the specific link to TSA Cares information when it becomes
active, as well as a link to the official press release.

We urge you to spread the word about TSA Cares so that those you represent
have access to information about screening that is specific to their
disabilities or medical conditions. As always, the staff from the Office of
Disability Policy and Outreach will be available to you to assist with
disseminating information about TSA Cares.

Thank you for your continued participation and support. We look forward to
improving the screening experience for passengers through TSA Cares.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Walton, Special Counselor
Transportation Security Administration

##

Computers for the Blind
Here is your chance to have a powerful computer with software allowing
blind and visually challenged persons to be able to join family and
friends, doing what they are doing.
Each computer comes complete with monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and
all associated cables. It also comes with preloaded software. Software
includes: Open Office for word processing/book keeping, NVDA screen reader,
demo version of Window-Eyes (will function for 30 minutes before computer
restart), and 60 day demo version of ZoomText. For a donation of only $100,
the Texas Center for the Visually Challenged will send your newly
refurbished computer right to your door. As of this morning, they have sent
over 4,100 computers to visually impaired individuals. Computers can only
be shipped to the United States or Canada.
Call Lee Mann at 214 340 6328 for full information. Please pass this
information on to other people who may need an inexpensive, fully
accessible computer.

##

Horizons for the Blind, a Crystal Lake, Ill based not-for-profit
organization, announces the launch of directionsformeTM (directionsforme.org),
an exciting new Internet based service that makes consumer packaging
information available in an accessible online format for people who are
blind, visually impaired or simply have trouble reading the increasingly
small print on packages or labels.
There are limited resources, if any, for visually impaired consumers to
access this information. Many websites are not designed to be fully or even
partly accessible for text-to-speech screen readers, Braille output
devices, screen magnifiers and web-enabled cell phones.
This important information is often ignored because of the difficulty in
seeing it. Some of this information is of a convenient nature but drug
interaction and allergy warnings could be life threatening. Gaining
comprehensive access will foster self sufficiency and allow consumers to
lead more healthy and independent lives.
directionsforMeTM was designed specifically for the blind and visually
impaired consumer and employs innovative methods to simplify the user
experience.
Skip to Main Content: Allows you to bypass repetitive information contained
on each web page.
Subject Headings: Lets you go directly to the information you want without
wading through content you do not.
Formatting: After consulting and testing with actual users, information on
the directions site is set up in the most efficient and understandable way
possible.
The Directions website will address a glaring disconnect between consumer
product manufacturers and this underserved population.
The easy-to-use format makes directionsforMeTM appealing to a wide range of
consumers. With the amount of information on consumer products increasing
dramatically and the print size decreasing just as significantly, many
consumers, particularly the growing senior population, are having trouble
reading the information on packages and labels.
Through a licensing agreement with Gladson, Directions features over
300,000 products in food, health and beauty and general merchandise
categories. It provides consumers a consistent, one-stop source for
preparation directions, nutrition facts, ingredients, allergy/drug
interaction
warnings and more.

##

Books And Beyond is a show that plays on ACB Radio each weekend. It's
hosted by Bonnie Blose, and we talk to authors, editors, publishers and
other creative and interesting people. Sometimes the shows are blindness
related and sometimes they're not. All Books And Beyond shows will be
archived at www.accessibleworld.org on The Books And Beyond archives page.
You can still call 773-572-3166 and hear them on the phone as they become
available.  For questions, email Nancy Lynn at freespirit52 at charter.net

###

CHAT LINES

I am looking for people who will like a room on my line. It is a Christian
chat line. We have bible study on Saturday at 7pm central time and also we
have church conference on Tuesday at 8pm. The number is 1-712-432-4823 room
1.

##

Okay everybody, there is a new chatline out called the red world.  If you
want to go on it the number is (712) 432-5944 I know that all of you will
enjoy this chatline.  Check it out.  Juanita

##

Join a Free voice Chat Community on the Web!

Hey Folks! Would you like to have lots of fun and meet other blind or
visually impaired individuals from across the country and around the world?
 Do you like challenging interactive games, old time radio, adaptive
cooking techniques, a book club, chess instruction, product presentations,
 real time technical assistance with your computer, Bible Study, a weekly
talent showcase, programs to learn about the iPhone, and lots and lots more?

Our community is made up of a set of free voice chat rooms that are
extremely user friendly, and all you need is a microphone to get started!
 To become a member and join our Out-Of-Sight free chat community go to the
website, at, www.out-of-sight.net
hope to see you soon!  "Catch the vision--it's Out of Sight!"

##

Hello! We would like to thank everyone involved for helping to making our
twenty four hour prayer vigil a success. We will have them at the end of
each month. We have movies, books, music, inspiration sixteen boards games
and much more, but more than that we have wonderful friends who want to
extend love friendship and a kind word if someone is going through hard
times in our support groups. thank you from angelrose and friends. please
call 218-936-2025.

##

Audio Connection
The Audio Connection has moved to a new number, 712-432-4851. We offer a
breakfast club Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in room 2 at 9 a.m. We also
play various games, have recorded books, streaming of a radio show in room
6 on Wednesdays from 4 to 7 E.S.T., and various other activities planned
for the future. Come and check us out and have a good time.

##

Mytelespace. For more information and to sign up call (832) 999-8600 or go
to mytelespace.com

##

Are you a Stephen King fan or wrestling fan or graphic audio fan? If so
call the matchat line at 218-936-1444. The podcast menu can be found in
option 4 and you can have your own VM box. Will is the line owner and he is
cool too. Have a good one.

##

Welcome to the Secret Garden. 218-936-2054. The Secret Garden is a place
where you can go to relax and be yourself. It is the adult hideaway where
you can make new friends and start a community. The Garden is fully
equipped with live chat rooms like "The Lucky Seven Lounge", and "The VIP
Lounge". Each live room has its own message board, so each room can be its
own world. The line also has a podcast center where you can listen to music
and other programming, and you can even submit your own program. You can
also visit the general message boards, and establish your own voicemail
box. The Garden can be used for special meetings and other events. Come
one, come all to the Secret Garden, and bring your friends. 218-936-2054.
While we expect everyone to be respectful, adult content may sometimes be
heard. Make your own choices and use discretion. Like us on Facebook. The
Secret Garden Phone Chat.

##

There is a wonderful chat room for those of us who are primarily in our
20's 30's and forties, but everyone is welcome. Who knows you just might
meet a special someone if you are single or just find great friends to talk
to if you are already in a loving relationship call and join us at
712 432 4848 and the room number is 3. Hope to see you there.

##

If you can't beat them join them. Two chat lines merge to provide awesome
caller experience. How would you like games every night, coffee with
friends every morning, and friends who stay up half the night? What about
weekly magazines, lots of awesome movies and books, and a podcast person
who takes requests? Lela and Pat have joined forces to create just the zone
for you. Room activities will be hosted on The Phone Zone, 218-936-2081.
More podcasts than you could ever watch will be hosted on The Podcast Zone,
218-936-2075, formerly known as The Yak Shack. Lela and Pat are good
friends and we want to be your friend too. See you soon.

##

Hello, welcome to Heaven's Gate, a Christian Chat line 218-936-2092 This is
a drama free line where you can come and enjoy podcasts such as books,
movies, music, and TV shows. Also on Sunday Mornings I have Sunday school,
at 1:00 eastern time with Sunday Morning service at 11:50 eastern time.
Sunday night service at 7 PM eastern time. This comes from the Trinity
Baptist church in Oxford Alabama. Wednesday night prayer service at 8 PM
eastern time if you have any questions, you may ask Anita the line owner.

##

Lauriann invites people over 18 to join The Jungle, a Chatline for social
networking purposes. They discuss topics such as music, books, and general
issues specific to the blind community, all with the intent to provide an
outlet for those who are interested.
Call 712-432-5154

##

To join the following phone conferences, please go to Mike's Place at the
times listed below. Please make note of each room code. There will be
different codes for each conference listed. Please also make note of their
times. The line number for Mike's Place is: 1-218-936-2053 and at the main
menu hit the number: 1 for live chat rooms.

To join the Friends of Reading Our Way and More phone conference, go to
Mike's Place on Sunday Afternoons at 4 PM Eastern. We talk about the books
we're reading, how we read them and a whole lot more. A good time is always
had by all. At the main menu please hit 1 for live chat rooms, and the room
code: 2665 and the pound key.

To join the Meditation Hour, please visit the Room of Freedom on the 2nd
and 4th Tuesday of each month at 8 PM Eastern. Again, at the main menu hit:
1 for live chat rooms, and when asked, enter the code 3733 and the pound
key. The room opens at 7:45 PM and if there is to be a presentation, or a
long meditation exercise, the room is locked at: 8:05-PM.

To join the best Seeing Eye phone conference around, if you are a Seeing
Eye grad, or if you're going into class soon to get a Seeing Eye dog from
the Seeing Eye in Morristown NJ, please join us on Wednesday nights at 7 PM
Eastern, and again on Saturday afternoons at 4 PM Eastern. To enter the
room please hit: 1 for live chat rooms, and when asked, enter the room
code: 733 464 393 and the pound key.

To receive announcements about these groups, please write me at:
campbell04 at charter.net

##

Visit the hottest, most happening place around on the web where the blind
community will be inspired and entertained!

It's the BlindCafe.net and it's a great place to learn, laugh, chat and
make long lasting friendships with people from around the world. There is
always someone to greet you with a friendly smile night and day. It's
totally free! Come and try out our awesome music, trivia games, tutorials,
and interactive chats, and a whole lot more! It's totally accessible and
easy to use.

For more info, please Visit us at: www.BlindCafe.net

It's the site where our members matter.

##

The Chat Oasis, A refuge from the norm. 1-712-432-3645.

We as the line owners are available most of the time. The usual chat line
rules are enforced. We have games, sports talk, and other events going on
weekly.

Please come join us at The Chat Oasis. A chat line for the disabled.
Designed for the visually impaired but all disabilities are welcome. Call
1-712-432-3645.

##

Hello,

Two computer chat sites are:
www.vipconduit.com (Free membership is available, but $20 per year adds
additional privileges)
and
www.for-the-people.com (Membership is free).

###

EVENTS

Verbal Description Tours and the Jewish Museum in New York City.
Educators provide detailed descriptions of works of art for blind or
partially sighted visitors.

Thursday, August 8 at 6:30pm
Tour of JACK GOLDSTEIN x 10,000
Led by educator Olivia Swisher

Monday September 23 at 2:00pm
Tea Time Tour Chagall: Love, War, and Exile includes light refreshments
Led by educator Olivia Swisher

Thursday, October 3 at 6:30pm
Tour of Chagall: Love, War, and Exile
Led by educator Olivia Swisher

To register, please call 212-423-3225 or email access at thejm.org

Touch Tours: Experience the Museum's permanent collection through a
multi-sensory touch collection; handle replicas, smell spices, touch
different fabrics, An educator guides visitors through the rich arts and
objects of the Museum's collection representing over 4,000 years of Jewish
art and culture in Culture and Continuity: The Jewish Journey. Continue to
explore works of art through the raised drawings in the Museum's tactile
graphic book, "Selected Works of Art from The Jewish Museum."

For more information, please call 2120423-3225 or email access at thejm.org.
Advance reservations required. Space is limited.

Please note that all Access tours and programs are FREE of charge.

##

Science Sense Tours - New York City: American Museum of Natural History

Visitors who are blind or partially sighted are invited to attend this
program, held monthly in the Museum galleries. Specially trained Museum
tour guides highlight specific themes and exhibition halls, engaging
participants through extensive verbal descriptions and touchable objects.

Science Sense is free with Museum admission.

Science Sense tours are available to individuals or groups.  Space is
limited and advance registration is required. Programs may be subject to
change.

For additional information or to register for a Science Sense tour, please
call (212)313-7565 or emailaccessibility at amnh.org

###
END OF SPECIAL NOTICES AND PEN PALS SUPPLEMENT

This email was sent to Deb.mendelsohn at gmail.com.
If you are no longer interested you can unsubscribe instantly:
http://swisher.createsend5.com/t/r-u-bdlkrit-sjjkudliy-r/