[nabs-l] Looking for mentors for blind teen in Los Angeles

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 22:27:48 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I was just contacted regarding a 17-year-old high school senior who is
losing vision and would like to connect with blind friends and
mentors. She is planning to go to college but has not gotten a lot of
blindness training and she and her parents are concerned about how she
will get around and live on her own. She is also looking for
blind/partially sighted peers to hang out with. I'm looking for help
with the following:

-- College students who'd be willing to be an email or phone
mentor/pen pal for her and/or her parents;
-- Blind students in California or information about social groups in
California where she could meet blind teens and college students (like
CABS meetings if you guys meet regularly);
-- Goalball resources in California/Los Angeles area.

If you'd be willing to help mentor this student or have details about
social activities in CA please email me off-list at
arielle71 at gmail.com
as soon as you can (I'm calling her tonight).

Remember that many of you came into NABS through personal
relationships with mentors, and many of us were in this girl's
position at one time in our lives.
Thanks,
Arielle