[nabs-l] question about summer camp

Kelsey Nicolay piano.girl0299 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 02:37:30 UTC 2013

Hello,
I started attending a camp for blind and visually impaired
adults.  I liked the camp a lot and would go again next year.
However, I have a question for you all.  We have campfires every
night, or almost every night.  They are a lot of fun, but some of
the songs we sing have hand motions.  Even though I worked there
as a counselor last year, I did not have the opportunity to learn
the motions.  I think it would make the fires much more enjoyable
if I ce fully participate.  Therefore, what is the best way to
deal with this situation? How should I put it on my camp
application for nesht year, I am fairly independent with
everything else so that's not an issue.  Since doing the motions
is not required, how should I approach this? And, how can the
counselors assist me without interfering with my desire to be
with my friends during campfire? I would physically need to be
shown as well as verbal describing.  Should I just tell my
counselohs at the beginning of the session that I want to do the
motions, however I may not be with my cabin team during that time
so I think it should be on my application but I just don't know
how to include it in the best manner.  BTW, there are some songs
where we all have to stand up and perform all the actions as a
group.  They do show us the actions for these types of songs by
taking our hands and showing us the motion of what we are
supposed to be doing and then we're able to do it with the group,
but there are only two songs like that in our repertoire of
campfire songs.  The hest have actions but I cannot tell what
they are eshactly, only that I can hear the counselors moving
their bodies in some way.
Any help someone could give would be ghtby appreciated.  Camp
isn't for anotheh year but I wanted your ofinions now.
Thanks,
Kelsey