[nabs-l] the use of sighted guide technique

Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr. freethaught at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 04:34:18 UTC 2013

Kelsey,

I agree that cited guide techniques are faster and convenient at times. It is important for me to develop a level of independence from always following someone around.

It seems to me that you have the pended on sighted people to guide you too much, and for too long. I hope you will consider where I'm coming from, since you asked the original cited guide question.

I typically walk holding a sighted persons elbow when I am walking with them. I have tried walking through environments like a parking lot with my mother while trying to get to a store. It is frustrating to her, and counterintuitive to see me finding all of the cars along the way. It is counterproductive for me to reach the sidewalk and turn the wrong way, away from our destination to ask some other sighted person the direction of the pharmacy, or other destination. These are techniques I will use if my mother were not there. After all, I can only guess at which direction the store will be if I am not very familiar with the area.

So trying to be rebellious Lee independent hasn't worked so well.

Walking with sighted friends down the sidewalk and finding all obstacles in my way is also unnecessary, and makes the sighted person look inconsiderate to other people around, since they are supposedly watching me run into things.

This may seem small to some of us, but this technique for walking on my own when walking with someone draws unnecessary attention.

I think you need to create opportunities to do things away from your family, and with supportive friends. Maybe even something you do on your own, like going for a walk, or just going to grab something at a store you haven't been to before.

These exercises might increase your confidence and skill.

I hope this answers some of your questions

Antonio.