[nabs-l] update on rehab affairs

Beth Taurasi denverqueen1107 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 29 20:40:28 UTC 2013

On 8/29/2013 1:12 PM, Dan Burke wrote:
> The issue under  discussion is called "Order of Selection." Any state VR agency has to declare this if they realize they don't have enough money to both serve current clients and open and serve new cases.
>
> So the issue is not when one registered with VR or for college.  It is actually that those who are already eligible and have an Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE) in operation.  Under the federal VR rules, if you are in a plan, then your plan cannot be interrupted by Order of Selection.
>
> Colorado is in Order of Selection. Georgia has been in it as well, the state of Washington was in it a few years ago, and I believe is out of it. Montana expects to go to Order of Selection this calendar year, and other states may also  be facing this.
>
> So if you apply for services in Colorado after Order of Selection was declared, you have to wait.  As the state VR agency gets its budget under control it may then begin to serve  those who have applied on a priority basis, and blind clients may be in the highest priority category in most cases.
>
> BTW, a state would be wise to declare Order of Selection before it has to stop taking the highest priority clients, and thus be able to accept and serve those folks without putting them on a waiting list.  Folks like, say, blind students transitioning from high school to college.  That would be a good management strategy.
>
> Dan

If Colorado is in order of selection, well, let's just say there's a
plan for mental health treatment in order, but they are refusing to get
me off the wait list.  They won't even serve me because of mental stuff
and they want me to do something that is impossible to do and my
caseworker at MHCD has said so clearly that the mango vanilla ice cream
is simply not available and there's no such thing. lol  Thanks.
Beth