[nabs-l] Helping the group in organized chaos situations

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 18:12:14 UTC 2013

Hi Julie,

I know that situations like an op shop show (yes, we called it op shop
in college) can be, as you called it, organized chaeos and I know that
often people think it is "easier" for us blind people to sit there and
look pretty while everyone else does all the heavy lifting.  Now, I
will say from experience that moving stuff around in all the chaos of
a performance or rehearsal can be a bit tedious since everyone is kind
of going every which way with a bunch of heavy objects and it can get
a bit disorienting, especially when you're trying to ask, "Excuse me,
where can I put this prop?" and you've got six different people
telling you six different places where that prop or costume piece
should or could go.  The best thing I've found is to find one or two
sighted people with whom you are friendly in your op shop class and
kind of follow them to wherever they are going.  While you're with
them, ask casually how you might help or even just bend down and pick
something up and ask where it should go.  Once you've got whatever it
is in your hand, they can't really say that it would be easier for
them to hold it since, well, you're already holding it and showing
them that you can do it.  In other words, don't tell them that you can
do it, show them you can do it.  People believe more what they see and
less what they hear.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

--
Ryan L. Silveira