[nabs-l] Blind Verses Legally Blind

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 6 22:57:27 UTC 2013

Hello All,

Thank you for the responses thus far. However, how do I
 even answer a question that I really do not know how to answer myself? Why
should I spend five minutes trying to stumble through some sort of answer
with a stranger I am most likely never going to see again? I do not know why
strangers are asking me if I am blind or legally blind except to figure out
how much I can see or not see.

But I am just wondering what difference that really makes when the NFB
teaches that blind people are really no different than sighted people, and
with the right tools and attitudes, we can do pretty much anything that a
sighted person can do. If these beliefs are true, then what difference does
it make as to how much I can see or not see.

It just seems to me that when people ask me these questions they are trying
to imply that I must have some sight because how could a person be able to
function without any sight. It is almost like people are trying to tell me
that the more eyesight a person has the better off they are in life. How
exactly am I suppose to deal with these kinds of questions when my encounter
with these people is rather brief, and I would rather not deal with what
seems to me like some form of idiotic line of thinking?

What exactly should I say to these people if what I am saying is the wrong
thing, and I really do not know how to briefly describe what I can and
cannot see, or even wish to describe it in the first place? I would give a
specific example of how I encountered this situation from the other day, but
I am afraid it would only spear the conversation away from the real heart of
the issue.

Again, this is just something I have been struggling with lately.  So I was
just interested in how other people deal with these kinds of questions from
other people in their lives.

Elizabeth