[nabs-l] Blind Verses Legally Blind

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Dec 7 16:23:00 UTC 2013

Elizabeth,

One always has to remember that just because we have a philosophy in the NFB, that doesn't mean that everyone is even aware of it.  It is completely
normal for members of the public to not understand what we believe or even know about it.  Also, the public, in my experience, has more trouble
understanding blind people with some vision than those of us who are totally blind.  They do think that the more vision one has the better off one is.  What
I have seen is that sometimes it is harder for people with low vision than it is for me because they are so often told and almost forced to struggle with the
little vision they have rather than to learn how to do things other ways.  Often the public assumes that "legally blind" means no vision so when they meet
someone who can obviously see a little, they are sometimes even a little suspicious.  All of this is pretty normal.  Our philosophy is something we try to
teach people, it is not something everyone knows already.

How you handle a particular incident is something only you can determine.  However, how each of us deals with the public does affect all of us to some
degree.  Just because someone decides they are not going to represent the blind doesn't stop them from doing just that because the public determines
how they get their information not each of us.  We all need to keep working to change this, but it is what it is.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson\