[nabs-l] Blind Verses Legally Blind

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Sun Dec 8 16:34:46 UTC 2013

Why are you assuming we haven't had these experiences just because of our
answers? I said I usually don't mind answering so obviously I get these
questions. My experience has been far worse then questions. I spent my
entire childhood being teased or rude comments about my vision so frankly I
would rather have someone ask me a question then have a bus driver kick me
off the bus because he did not believe I was blind and thought my guide dog
was fake because I help by hand up to my face to see my coins before I
paid. Or all the shit I heard when I used a cane "You're not blind"

No, I would much rather have someone ask about my vision.

You say you don't want to educate people. Well, maybe if they were educated
by someone then they wouldn't have asked you.

When I get the comment "Maybe you should buy some glasses" or "Can/t you
afford glasses" or "Are you on drugs" I have no problem saying I am legally
blind and it cannot be corrected with glasses and maybe they won't be such
an ass to the next person they see with a book right up against their face.
I get the drug one because I squint.

The more that people understand about the different levels of blindness and
how we can all do things with our accommodations, the more likely they will
be to hire us when we apply for jobs. So yes, unfortunately it falls upon
us to educate people.