[nabs-l] A Couple More Travel Questions...

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 04:52:24 UTC 2013

Apologies for the premature send. What I was saying was that I've
tried to make a conscious effort to pay extra attention to the last
part of a route since that's the first part of the return route. Also
if you can get close, even if you mess up a step, you can often still
figure it out by looking for other clues. For example, if trying to
find the door and you get close enough, you may be able to feel cold
air coming in through the door or notice sound changes that signal you
are near the door. However, I've learned that sometimes I just have to
request a little assistance if I get turned around. I suspect that the
mental-mapping problems you describe are quite common and that most of
us have experienced them at least occasionally.

Regarding your second question, usually if I want someone to give me
directions rather than guiding it's because I want to learn the
directions for future reference if I go to the place again or at least
to be able to find my way back independently. I will often say "thanks
but I would rather you give me directions so I can try to learn how to
get there for next time I  go there" or some such. Most people accept
this. If I am going somewhere I know I  will not be returning to, then
I will usually accept an escort if that is offered because it is more
convenient and there is less need for me to learn where I  am going if
I won't be going there again. I think many sighted  people just don't
have faith in their own ability to give directions and they think the
best way for them to help is by escorting or guiding.
When I first got out of training I worried a lot about losing my
skills if I accepted too much sighted guide or other assistance. Over
the years I've learned that the skills really don't go away that fast.
I can spend a week or two at my parents' or my in-laws' house (where
I'm really not traveling much of anywhere)  and then be able to pick
up the independent travel right away at the airport coming home. I
think it would take several years of no travel at all for those skills
to dry up considerably. As long as you are traveling independently on
a periodic basis, I think it is fine to occasionally accept assistance
or go somewhere without paying close attention to the route. I think
the more important thing is to be able to get where you  want to go in
an efficient way and to be able to handle problems as they come up.

Best,
Arielle