[nabs-l] Concepts of Biology Class for the Spring Semester

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 03:36:15 UTC 2013

Hi Helga,

I will be taking a bio 101 course next semester-general biology for
non-science majors.  Here is what I did to prepare.

It sounds like you've contacted your professor beforehand, which is
good.  I don't know on which grounds he's told you the information you
have, but if you haven't already see if you can actually meet with
him/her in person.
TAlk with the DS office.  I am a little confused why you would go
through the vice president of the university, as getting textbooks in
braille is the disability resources office's responsibility.  They
should handle all of your accomodations.
Some tactile image books are already available.  If you're taking a
general biology course APH has a great book with all sorts of diagrams
including plants, organs, cells, etc.  I don't remember the name but
it helped me a lot.
See if you can get a lab assistant through your DS office if you need
to take the lab portion as well, and get the manual as far in advance
as possible as Suzanne suggested.
Do everything else as suggested in the way of getting image
descriptions or tactile images.
For the textbook, have you thought of putting an electronic file of
the book on your BrailleNote?  That way you can have it in braille,
but it would be a lot less bulky to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Kaiti