[nabs-l] Some Questions About Attending College

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 08:11:03 UTC 2013

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for all the responses. They help a lot.
I hate to say this, but I don't really like the idea of the whole
laptop thing in class. I have hearing loss, and it would be a little
hard for me to listen to the jaws with a headphone, and listen to the
professor. I have hearing in only one ear, so while the earbuds I use
don't block out all sound I'd really really prefer a braille display.
What I figured is if I could get rehab to get me a new notetaker I
could always buy an Ipad and pair the notetaker with the ipad or just
take notes on the notetaker regularly.
In order to justify to rehab to get a new notetaker, does my current
one (an old pacmate) have to be broken?
I don't believe my pacmate is technically broken, it's just that it's
so old. It doesn't have an actual USB drive on it.
It also has no built in wireless so basically it has no internet.
It uses the windows mobile operating system which is like obselete now.
I guess it does technically work though for very basic notetaking.
If I purchased an Ipad and one of those cases that has a keyboard in
it, would rehab still buy me a notetaker?
I think I would prefer to have a notetaker such as the Braille Sense
U2 to accompany/compliment whatever else I decide to use.
I also may sound lazy, but my laptop (at least to me) is a little
heavy and big. I have a case for my laptop and when my laptop is in it
it makes it a little heavy.
I've been told there are backpacks I could purchase that have a
special place for the laptop and then the backpack also has room for
other things, but I think I'm going to become very annoyed with trying
to lug my laptop around every day.
When I have had to travel and taken airplanes where I have to carry my
laptop through the airport, it gets heavy and my shoulders tire
quickly.
Are the Ipads light?
If the way to go is to use an Ipad with a bluetooth keyboard would the
Ipad be lighter and less bulky to carry around than the laptop?
Also, if I got the Ipad would rehab turn that against me and not
purchase me a new notetaker such as the braille senseu2?
Thanks,
Kerri