[nabs-l] Some Questions About Attending College

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 23 04:40:39 UTC 2013

Hi,
this depends on the college. Some ds offices scan texts.
In terms of getting files from publishers, this depends on the ds office
management; some are very slow. I had experiences where they did not get
texts to me in time for classes. Other times, ds submits the request timely,
but the publishers are slow. some refuse to give files out, which is why we
need the teach act.

So it varies. I highly suggest getting your own private membership to
learning ally and ordering books yourself, this eliminates the issue with ds
unreliability! If you want dasy text files, get bookshare membership. I hear
its free to students. Again, your own bookshare account eliminates the need
to go to ds office.

Yes, you can scan your books, but I don't recommend it because you will have
too many errors and no one to edit it not to mention that
the scanners butcher up  the  tables and charts and you cannot always tell
in the scanned copy where the table ends.

So, I suggest buying your own memberships if you can afford it to ensure you
get texts.
Even if ds gets you pdfs, I can gaurantee you they will not always  be
readable because the words will be jumbled together.

Ashley