[nabs-l] Braille Music

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 19:18:40 UTC 2013

Hi,

I started learning by ear, and did that only for the first 4 years of
playing the clarinet.  I still did it most of the time in high school
because it was difficult for me to get print music to send to a
transcriber from my band director, and do it now in college along with
reading braille music.  What I've noticed is that by learning by ear I
picked up on a lot of the theoretical concepts through trial and
error.  I chunked things into scale and arpegio patterns.  I did not
know the name for a scale with a C major key signature but went from E
to E was called, but once I learned about modes it was just a matter
of matching the names to the different scale degrees.  I had a much
easier time in theory I in college than some of my sighted classmates
because I had these theoretical concepts under my belt.  I think what
happens with sighted musicians is that they get so robotic and just
play the notes they see on the page without actually thinking about
them.  That is one major advantage to using your ear and braille
music; you are forced to see music in harmonic chunks and to practice
these theoretical concepts whenever you play.

I do think learning by ear is important, because it does exercise
these skills, but braille music is important for accuracy too.

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/pianogirlforl

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/louvins%40gmail.c
>>> om

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/crazy4clarinet104%