[nabs-l] taking quizzes and tests

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 06:26:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

Absolutely, it wouldn't make sense to go through the hassle for
something that small.  I typically take all my quizzes in class except
for midterms, finals, and anything math related because that's a
different matter entirely.
Your testing rooms and procedures sound pretty similar to the ones at
my university in that you're on your own unless you request a scribe
or reader and they provide a computer with JAWS for you.  However, I
agree that using these things for a quiz would be silly.

My only question is why not take the quiz at the same time as everyone
else?  If you do get your teacher to put the quiz on a flashdrive to
put on your BrailleNote why not just take it in class at the regular
time and give her back the flashdrive when you're done?  It will save
you time after class.

On 2/1/13, Ashley Bramlett <bookwormahb at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> How do you go about taking quizzes and tests?
> Every school seems a bit different in rules to administer tests to disabled
> students.
>
> At Marymount university, MU, I went to the learning center where students
> got tutored and took either make up or regular tests.
> I signed the honor code pledge and then completed the test with a reader
> usually, a student reader they provided. I could use the pc as well if it
> was an essay exam.
>
> At nova, community college, they have a testing center. you take it there in
> a room alone. You can get a reader as well if you need that.
> They have jaws on a pc at the testing center,so I can use it there if I opt
> to read it on the pc.
>
> Do you go through the formal disability office procedure and take exams in a
> separate building and whatever place for test takers with disabilities?
> I usually have done it unless my professor wants to work something else out;
> for instance, giving me short quizzes orally after class.
>
> Have you taken exams or quizzes in professor’s offices using your own
> equipment or in class? Do you work out other arrangements out with
> professors such as this rather than going to the designated testing office.
>
> I ask because I want to do this for a short quiz. Why go over to the testing
> center on the other side of campus when I feel I can take the quiz right
> there in the building? I’d either read the quiz via my notetaker or bring a
> laptop. My professor seemed unsure about this idea. She said, I’ll ask the
> disability counseling center about this.
> I said, if you do, they will just say I take them in the testing center;
> this is the default arrangement unless we work out something else. I get the
> sense she is uncomfortable with me taking the quiz after class. Note that
> that her office hours are right after class and her office is in that
> building. Its so much more convenient to take the quiz there rather than
> walk way to the testing center for a 10 question quiz.
>

> She said its not online; I explained that I could read it in Word format
> electronically on a flash drive; so it did not need to be online for me to
> take it on a electronic device.
>

> Anyway, just wondered what others have done. Hope my idea also sounds
> reasonable. to me it seems fair. I’d still be supervised while taking the
> quiz and would not have to go to the testing center.
>
> Ashley

Kaiti